LOGIN  |  REGISTER
Smart Living Made Brilliant!
CASTLEOS FORUM

HomeGeneral Support

The general support forum topic for CastleOS - ask questions, get help, and more

Join existing z-wave network not working Messages in this topic - RSS

Maurice Gibbon
Maurice Gibbon

1/17/2017
Maurice Gibbon
Maurice Gibbon
I'm trying to get my Castle HUB up and running and am failing at every hurdle. LightwaveRF is not working so that's all my lights and sockets not controllable by CastleOS and I can't join my existing Z-wave network, so that's everything in the house except the Sonos not controllable. I'm following the limited instructions in the Android app for joining the existing network but nothing happens. There is no confirmation, no prompt, nothing. It simply doesn't work. i'm getting increasingly frustrated with this as it simply is not delivering what the website claims.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I find a real dearth of information on the forum to help me get started.

Thanks in advance.
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

1/17/2017
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Hey Maurice,

Sorry about the trouble!

Regarding LightwaveRF we have an update coming soon that will support the new API Lightwave released a couple weeks ago. In the meantime the Lightwave feature will not work.

Z-Wave should be running without issue, however. Did you add the Z-Stick to the CastleHUB and activate Z-Wave in Settings?

Once you do that, anything already paired to the Z-Stick will be automatically discovered and added to CastleOS, and you'll also be able to use the CastleOS app to pair additional devices.

Regarding Sonos, once you enable Sonos in Settings all of your speakers will be automatically discovered. Please note however that Sonos still has not released their API, so until they do, you'll only be able to use the speakers for voice announcements and voice response.

Thanks!
0 link
Maurice Gibbon
Maurice Gibbon

1/18/2017
Maurice Gibbon
Maurice Gibbon
I haven't got a z stick, I've got a Vera controller
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

1/18/2017
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Maurice Gibbon wrote:
I haven't got a z stick, I've got a Vera controller

The Vera is a controller like the CastleHUB. You don't need it once you get the Z-Stick or similar.
0 link
Maurice Gibbon
Maurice Gibbon

1/18/2017
Maurice Gibbon
Maurice Gibbon
Yes but that means buying a z stick which i don't want to do. Nowhere does it day that az stick is required to use z wave. It's so unclear.
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

1/18/2017
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Hi Maurice, this is by design and how most Z-Wave controllers work. Z-Wave radios are designed to be upgradable (and in the case of the CastleHUB, optional). There has already been a couple generations of radios to date, and another coming this year. By having the radio external, you don't need to replace the entire CastleHUB just to get the latest Z-Wave feature support. Likewise, if the radio fails, you don't need to replace the whole CastleHUB.

This is something that sets the CastleHUB apart from our competitors with built in radios. For instance with SmartThings, not only can you not update the radio, you can't even backup the radio's settings. The CastleHUB gives you this flexibility and more!
0 link
Maurice Gibbon
Maurice Gibbon

1/30/2017
Maurice Gibbon
Maurice Gibbon
I have bought a z-stick in the hope that I can finally get a device working on CastleOS. I'm attempting to join my existing network and follow the instructions on the settings page. Nothing happens. No feedback/acknowledgement. How do I know what is going on? The devices are not showing so I guess something isn't working but haven't got a clue what it is because there is nothing to tell me what has/hasn't happened.

Should it be this difficult to use? There is no guidance so it is purely guesswork. Which port do I put the USB stick in? Do I have to add all devices? Why is nothing happening when I click Join Network. Do I have to leave it for a few minutes? Why are no devices appearing? WHERE CAN I GET HELP?! Sorry for shouting but the incredible lack of documentation is a real frustration. I'm not an inexperienced person regarding this sort of thing having had a Vera for 4 years so I'm repeatedly frustrated at fruitless attempts to get even basics set up.

I've attempted to request a refund as I'm still to see anything working and the lack of support is not justification for the expensive price tag. I've forked out more money for the z stick and that is not working so it's just adding insult to injury. I'm trying to remain calm and rational about this and I appreciate all the hard work going into this by many but it simply doesn't work for what I need. When I try to return it, the page says Cannot Return, with no explanation. I have asked why this is but have had no response.

I know it's a bit of a rant but it's indicative of how I feel with this. I can't help but feel that it is a waste of my hard-earned money at the moment.
edited by c78faaa9@opayq.com on 1/30/2017
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

2/2/2017
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Hi Maurice, there seems to be quite a bit of confusion here on how Z-Wave works, so I'd like to set up a phone / remote support call with you to discuss this with you. It would be easier for us to explain directly and we'll be able to get you set up. The feature is fully working, but depending on your use case may need to be manually configured (it is normally auto configured by default).

Please let me know when you are available?

Thanks,
Chris
0 link