A forum topic for reporting bugs and other issues with CastleOS

An Error Occurred Loading the CastleOS app Messages in this topic - RSS

Eric F
Eric F

1/18/2017
Eric F
Eric F
Hi there, CastleOS went down for me last night with the following error page:

An error occured loading the CastleOS app. Please ensure the Core Service is running.

You may contact CastleOS for assistance at info@castleos.com.

You may also attempt to reload the app by clicking here.

Tried clicking the link, rebooting the system, reinstalling from scratch, etc; still getting that error.

please let me know what more i can try!
edited by efrese on 1/18/2017
edited by efrese on 1/18/2017
0 link
Adam
Adam

1/18/2017
Adam
Adam
I had the same problem this morning.

I went here and downloaded the 4.6.2 update and installed it. Then rebooted, and COS worked again.

http://dotnetsocial.cloudapp.net/GetDotnet?tfm=.NETFramework,Version=v4.6&processName=CastleOSCoreService.exe&platform=0009&osver=5&isServer=0&shimver=4.0.30319.34209

However, my Windows 7 machine BSODs when I shut down, and it crashed twice while trying to boot. I'm super pissed. Go ahead and disable beta updates if you system works properly. I can't handle a surprise crash and repair with every update.
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

1/18/2017
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Hey Adam, I'm sorry about this issue. I'm not sure why your Win 7 install didn't take the .NET update. We upgraded the prerequisites to use .NET 4.6 (which is what shipped with Windows 10 and is now two years old).

For anyone else having this issue, please just download the CastleOS installer and run it manually. It should prompt you to install the Microsoft .NET update and then proceed normally from there.
0 link
Gregory Martin
Gregory Martin

1/18/2017
Gregory Martin
Gregory Martin
Adam wrote:
I had the same problem this morning.

I went here and downloaded the 4.6.2 update and installed it. Then rebooted, and COS worked again.

I'm super pissed. Go ahead and disable beta updates if you system works properly. I can't handle a surprise crash and repair with every update.

Updates seem to be highly problematic and no telling what will happen when they do. I doubt there is any testing of the update on various platforms before the release, just a hope and pray it works approach. In just the first week of owning a CastleHub, had way too many outages due to bad updates and corrupt backups and with no change logs, it's anyone's guess as to why an update was needed anyway.

Agreed - everyone should disable the updates because technically they can prove to be hazardous to your system if you use it. Those that don't know better or anyone that doesn't count on their system to be stable can live be surprised by the "update" outages which gives time for someone to post the next fix.
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

1/18/2017
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
This particular issue doesn't affect the CastleHUB, nor most systems. It's only affecting systems that were never upgraded to .NET 4.6 through the normal Windows Update process. It's easily corrected and not exactly something we can control, but that is also why we support disabling auto updates. We did test on multiple platforms, however those platforms were fully up to date on the Windows Updates, so we didn't encounter this issue.

Also of note is this is the last release before the version flips to 2.0. There will be a very long changelog posted with that, which will roll up these earlier betas and current release candidate.

Gregory, the issue that you had when you first activated the hub was a bug that had been since fixed, but was present at the time of manufacture. And unfortunately it presented itself to you before it had finished the auto update. We do offer remote support to troubleshoot this and any other issue, and we're the only company to have that feature built in. If you're still having issues I'd be happy to log in with you and take a look and get it resolved for you.

Thanks,
Chris
0 link
Eric F
Eric F

1/19/2017
Eric F
Eric F
Running the installer again did not prompt for .net update, however installing the .net version manually from microsoft website fixed the issue.

I am just surprised that apparently microsoft did not find this .net version necessary to include in any of their auto-updates for Windows 8.1, as I was all up to date on those...
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

1/19/2017
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
0 link
Eric F
Eric F

1/20/2017
Eric F
Eric F
"We are happy to announce that the .NET Framework 4.6.1 and its language packs are now available on Windows Update (WU) and WSUS for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2012 R2. An offline installer is available here for Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 and Windows Server 2012. Additionally, the .NET Framework 4.6.1 is included in the Windows 10 November Update for Windows 10 computers."

Apparently it is an update for 7 and 10, but not 8/8.1 (where it is just "available for install") lol
0 link
tal.winter@gmail.com
tal.winter@gmail.com

1/21/2017
I think that you can find the offline installer for dotnet 4.6.1 in here ...
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3102436/the-.net-framework-4.6.1-offline-installer-for-windows
0 link
Tommy Long
Tommy Long

1/29/2017
Tommy Long
Tommy Long
I finally got around to installing the latest Beta (my last update Beta had been a few weeks). Started the install and got the dialog box regarding prerequisite to update .NET (I'm running Windows 7 on desktop) so did this ....and it installed .NET 4.5.2. Did the reboot as it said, and then it came up with CoS wanting to do its install, and I did it.....all looks good until the browser opens to CoS and it comes up with this same error "An error occurred loading the CastleOS app....." After reading this topic went back and checked "Windows Update" list and .NET 4.6.1 was there (I have auto-update turned off), so manually triggered the update which updated .NET. All seems to work now. Not a pleasant experience. My question, is why didn't the "prerequisite" check catch that 4.6.1 had not been installed and install it?
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

1/30/2017
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
For some reason it's not working on Windows 7 systems that didn't already have the update. The installer is set to check for that and auto install it if needed.
0 link