LOGIN  |  REGISTER
Smart Living Made Brilliant!
CASTLEOS FORUM

HomeGeneral Support

The general support forum topic for CastleOS - ask questions, get help, and more

End of the road? Messages in this topic - RSS

Scott Goffman
Scott Goffman

8/17/2018
Scott Goffman
Scott Goffman
After a reboot, my CastleOS is showing "Trial Expired". Looks like it's no longer able to connect to the license servers.

PM'd Chris, but no response, and his last logon to this site was 7/3.

So is Castle OS dead? I guess I'm moving on to either OpenHAB or HomeGenie. Their setup/config is waaaay more complex than COS, but they're open-source and not tied to a cloud service that might go away at any moment.

Anyone have other suggestions for replacements?

-Scott
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

8/17/2018
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Hi Scott, our SSL cert expired. The servers are still there, but it looks like the licensing library rejects a non secure connection. I'll get working on that ASAP, sorry about that!
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

8/19/2018
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
While I prepare a more permanent solution, for anyone affected by this you can download the linked zip file. It includes the latest CastleOS I've been working on, and I disabled the license limit (it will still show Trial Expired, but have no effect). To use it, first stop CastleOS Core Service in the Windows Services control panel, then go to C:\Program Files (x86)\CastleOS\CastleOS Core Service, and copy everything there to somewhere safe in case it's needed later. Finally, once the aforementioned folder is empty, extract everything in the linked zip to that folder, and restart CastleOS.

As always, it's also recommended you make a backup of your configuration.xml file that's located in C:\ProgramData\CastleOS\CastleOS Core Service.

Link to download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1b-MQpE4A88pByh44MEvLBWkIbsX5hiay

Thanks!

-Chris
edited by ccicchitelli on 8/19/2018
0 link
Eric F
Eric F

8/25/2018
Eric F
Eric F
Hello there, so i followed the above steps to fix the issue. My HUE lights are now working as normal, however my Z-Wave Network keeps showing disabled in the settings, and i am unable to alter the states of those devices. Whenever i go to enable Z-Wave in settings, it reverts itself back to disabled. All my devices are showing in the correct states in the portal, but I am unable to turn them on or off from there (except as i said the hue lights).
0 link
Robert Cook
Robert Cook

9/11/2018
Robert Cook
Robert Cook
Hi Chris,
I downloaded the file and replaced the CastleOS Core Service files as recommended but I cannot get the Core Service to start again. I tried rebooting and manually starting the service but not having any luck. What else can I try to get CastleOS working again?
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

9/11/2018
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Hi Robert, when you attempt to start it, do you get an error in the Windows Event Viewer application log?
0 link
Robert Cook
Robert Cook

9/12/2018
Robert Cook
Robert Cook
Hi Chris,

First, thanks for getting back to me... really appreciate it.
I managed to get the service working again. I was originally running version 1.3.3170 (2/8/17) and tried the fix, which didn't work. I removed everything, restored back and upgraded to 1.3.3301 Beta (10/8/17). Verified everything was working again (except for the licensing), applied the fix and I'm now able to see all of my devices and running 1.3.3325 (4/22/18).
Do you expect to release an official upgrade fix anytime soon?
Thanks again!
0 link
Eric F
Eric F

10/1/2018
Eric F
Eric F
Any word on why you think my Z-Wave settings keep switching back to "disabled" immediately when i change it to "enabled"? I've been getting by by manually turning things on and off, but it'd be nice to get the majority of my network back online!
0 link
Eric F
Eric F

10/1/2018
Eric F
Eric F
this is version 1.3.3325, after applying the manual file change over you posted in this thread.
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

10/1/2018
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Anytime it tries to start Z-Wave and fails, it will auto-disable it. You can check the error log and event log for messages that are related. First things I check are that that the COM port hasn't changed, and that no other app is using the COM port (which in that case I'm guessing isn't a factor here).
0 link
Eric F
Eric F

10/2/2018
Eric F
Eric F
so the errors.xml file was extremely large, but also showed up to me as blank... so i replaced it with an older copy of the file i had copied and then repeated the "enable". Please see attached errors.xml file (bottom) for the new z-wave error, because i honestly have no idea what it means.. also errors2.xml is the large blank one if that helps

0 link
Eric F
Eric F

11/6/2018
Eric F
Eric F
Just curious if you'd had a chance to take a look at the errors document. it doesn't look like the com port is being otherwise used to me, but i'm not an expert at reading these things
0 link