LOGIN  |  REGISTER
Smart Living Made Brilliant!
CASTLEOS FORUM

HomeGeneral Support

The general support forum topic for CastleOS - ask questions, get help, and more

Changing current device states Messages in this topic - RSS

Jim Blake
Jim Blake
Posts: 14


1/22/2013
Jim Blake
Jim Blake
Posts: 14
Some of my lights (really the Insteon light switches) show Off when they're on and On when they're off. Is there a way to correct this without deleting and re-adding the device?
+1 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Posts: 3390


1/22/2013
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Posts: 3390
Jim Blake wrote:
Some of my lights (really the Insteon light switches) show Off when they're on and On when they're off. Is there a way to correct this without deleting and re-adding the device?



That's interesting, haven't seen that before, but I have a hunch I know what it is. Can you upload your Log.sdf, Configuration.xml, and Errors.xml files to here so I can confirm it? You'll find them at C:\ProgramData\CastleOS\CastleOS Core Service\.

My hunch is that your switches were linked in such a way that they send the opposite of what you expect, so pressing the switch on causes the switch to send out "off" over the network, and vice versa. It's easily fixable though if that's the case.
0 link
Jim Blake
Jim Blake
Posts: 14


1/22/2013
Jim Blake
Jim Blake
Posts: 14
Sure, should just show the one switch at 20.A8.B8 in the default group that currently works backwards.


+1 link
Jim Blake
Jim Blake
Posts: 14


1/22/2013
Jim Blake
Jim Blake
Posts: 14
On another note, I just noticed in my config that one device has the address 20-33-13 and I keep getting the error:
String cannot contain a minus sign if the base is not 10.
So, I'm guessing the address has to be in the format 20.33.13, is that correct?
+1 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Posts: 3390


1/22/2013
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Posts: 3390
Jim Blake wrote:
On another note, I just noticed in my config that one device has the address 20-33-13 and I keep getting the error:
String cannot contain a minus sign if the base is not 10.
So, I'm guessing the address has to be in the format 20.33.13, is that correct?



Yes that is correct. We're adding a filter on the address field to make sure that doesn't happen, but the version you have installed won't prevent that. Looks like your PLM also is set with the dashes. To fix this, do the following:

1) Go to Control Panel
2) Open Administrative Tools
3) Open Services
4) Right-click CastleOS Core Service and select "Stop", but don't close Services
5) Go to your Configuration.xml file and manually swap the dashes for periods
6) Go back to Services, right-click on CastleOS Core Service again, select "Start" (you can now close Services and the Control Panel windows)
edited by ccicchitelli on 1/22/2013
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Posts: 3390


1/22/2013
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Posts: 3390
Jim Blake wrote:
Sure, should just show the one switch at 20.A8.B8 in the default group that currently works backwards.


The logs indicate the issue was with the address formats. Everything CastleOS tried to do, it failed. Once you swap the dashes for periods and restart, that error should go away.
0 link
Jim Blake
Jim Blake
Posts: 14


1/22/2013
Jim Blake
Jim Blake
Posts: 14
Thanks, I made the changes and I'm testing now. The odd thing is that even with the bad address in the PLM, I could control the lights (just the icon on the screen was backwards).
+1 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Posts: 3390


1/22/2013
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Posts: 3390
Jim Blake wrote:
Thanks, I made the changes and I'm testing now. The odd thing is that even with the bad address in the PLM, I could control the lights (just the icon on the screen was backwards).



The address gets interpreted a few places deep in the CastleOS code, apparently one of those places isn't so sensitive to the dashes smile But the reason everything was getting flipped was because the return confirmation from the switch was not getting processed, so CastleOS wasn't tracking the change in state of the switch.

Thanks for point this out, I'm going to upload a fix tonight so other users don't have this happen to them as well!
0 link
Jim Blake
Jim Blake
Posts: 14


1/22/2013
Jim Blake
Jim Blake
Posts: 14
Things are working better now, On turns lights on and Off turns them off.
+1 link