LOGIN  |  REGISTER
Smart Living Made Brilliant!
CASTLEOS FORUM

HomeScripting

A forum for information about scripting with CastleOS. Get samples, suggestions, and other help here

Roku and Global Cache GCIR Control Messages in this topic - RSS

Nick Bento
Nick Bento

1/4/2015
Nick Bento
Nick Bento
Hello All,
I've finished writing control systems for a Roku and a Global Cache GC-100 IP2IR controller, which allows me to control my entertainment system via remote commands, and also launch applications on my Roku (such as Plex or Netflix). If either of these are of interest to anyone let me know, I'll try to do a writeup of how they work (they're a bit complex, but I'll try to explain as best I can).

--
-Nick B.
+1 link
Dominique Garcia
Dominique Garcia

1/4/2015
Dominique Garcia
Dominique Garcia
I'm interested but I do not have a Roku. Is there a way you can make a short video showing it to us?
0 link
Nick Bento
Nick Bento

1/4/2015
Nick Bento
Nick Bento
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

1/4/2015
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
0 link
egan woseley
egan woseley

1/4/2015
egan woseley
egan woseley
Nick Bento wrote:
Hello All,
I've finished writing control systems for a Roku and a Global Cache GC-100 IP2IR controller, which allows me to control my entertainment system via remote commands, and also launch applications on my Roku (such as Plex or Netflix). If either of these are of interest to anyone let me know, I'll try to do a writeup of how they work (they're a bit complex, but I'll try to explain as best I can).

Yes nick I think a lot of people on this forum would like the write up on how this is done I looked at your video and that was really great,thanks again nick for a great video
0 link
Nick Bento
Nick Bento

1/4/2015
Nick Bento
Nick Bento
I'll try to come up with a writeup, there's some manual work involved that's a bit complicated to explain; you have to use a utility from Global Cache to learn all the IR commands for the GC-100 (it's not an automatic thing unfortunately), and those become arguments to pass to the program. The Roku part is a little bit simpler.

--
-Nick B.
0 link
Nick Bento
Nick Bento

1/5/2015
Nick Bento
Nick Bento
Ok, so for the first part you should give this a read: http://www.globalcache.com/support/ilearntutorial/
It should describe how to use the iLearn utility to generate the sendir commands for whatever buttons you wish to use from your remote. I'll edit this later and add the programs I wrote and how they function with this, along with an example script that calls the programs to trigger them.

So for the Roku part, you need to go to http://[your roku ip]:8060/query/apps to get a list of appIDs. You then pass the ip of your roku, along with the ID of the app you want to run, to the RokuControl.exe application.

For the GCIR part, once you have the sendir command you want, you pass the ip of the GCIR unit, along with the sendir command as arguments to the GCIR-Relay-Control.exe program. I have attached the programs and one of the scripts I use in my setup as an example.
edited by nikku on 1/5/2015

--
-Nick B.

0 link
egan woseley
egan woseley

1/5/2015
egan woseley
egan woseley
Nick Bento wrote:
Ok, so for the first part you should give this a read: http://www.globalcache.com/support/ilearntutorial/
It should describe how to use the iLearn utility to generate the sendir commands for whatever buttons you wish to use from your remote. I'll edit this later and add the programs I wrote and how they function with this, along with an example script that calls the programs to trigger them.

So for the Roku part, you need to go to http://[your roku ip]:8060/query/apps to get a list of appIDs. You then pass the ip of your roku, along with the ID of the app you want to run, to the RokuControl.exe application.

For the GCIR part, once you have the sendir command you want, you pass the ip of the GCIR unit, along with the sendir command as arguments to the GCIR-Relay-Control.exe program. I have attached the programs and one of the scripts I use in my setup as an example.

Hi nick how do you pass the roku id and the ip address to the roku control exe application?can I used the same roku exe that you posted.
0 link
Nick Bento
Nick Bento

1/5/2015
Nick Bento
Nick Bento
There should be an example of the program being called in the script in the zip file I uploaded that should show the arguments.
The apps I wrote should work on any system.

--
-Nick B.
0 link
egan woseley
egan woseley

1/5/2015
egan woseley
egan woseley
Nick Bento wrote:
There should be an example of the program being called in the script in the zip file I uploaded that should show the arguments.
The apps I wrote should work on any system.

Nick I open the roku exe app and tried to use it but anytime I try to type anything in it just closes out how do I stop that I am using windows 8.1
0 link
Nick Bento
Nick Bento

1/5/2015
Nick Bento
Nick Bento
Hey Egan,
It's a command line app, meaning double clicking the EXE with no arguments will not do anything. If you wanted to test the exe, you would need to navigate to the directory it is in with a command prompt, then call the exe with the arguments, such as RokuControl.exe 192.168.0.155 13564

--
-Nick B.
0 link
egan woseley
egan woseley

1/5/2015
egan woseley
egan woseley
Nick Bento wrote:
Hey Egan,
It's a command line app, meaning double clicking the EXE with no arguments will not do anything. If you wanted to test the exe, you would need to navigate to the directory it is in with a command prompt, then call the exe with the arguments, such as RokuControl.exe 192.168.0.155 13564

Thanks nick
0 link
Nick Bento
Nick Bento

1/5/2015
Nick Bento
Nick Bento
egan woseley wrote:
Nick Bento wrote:
Hey Egan,

Thanks nick

No problem, hope you find it useful smile

--
-Nick B.
0 link
egan woseley
egan woseley

1/6/2015
egan woseley
egan woseley
egan woseley wrote:
Nick Bento wrote:
Hey Egan,

Thanks nick

nick I am having a bit of a problem I am at the cmd prompt I change directory did a dir found the directory the rokucontrol.exe is in and when I try I do rokucontrol.exe I get roku control exe is not recognize as internal or external command could you shine some light on this.thanks
0 link
Nick Bento
Nick Bento

1/6/2015
Nick Bento
Nick Bento
Just tried it on my system and it worked fine. I changed directory to the directory the RokuControl.exe file is in, called it, and got output. Not sure what could cause what you are seeing, other than either a typo or the file being missing?

--
-Nick B.
0 link
egan woseley
egan woseley

1/6/2015
egan woseley
egan woseley
Nick Bento wrote:
Just tried it on my system and it worked fine. I changed directory to the directory the RokuControl.exe file is in, called it, and got output. Not sure what could cause what you are seeing, other than either a typo or the file being missing?

nick after you are in the directory do you do . rokucontrol.exe 192.169.1.126 . plus the roku app id ?
0 link
Nick Bento
Nick Bento

1/6/2015
Nick Bento
Nick Bento
You would do, as an example: RokuControl.exe 192.169.1.126 13565
no dot or dot slash before the command or anything. If you run the command with no arguments it should also give usage instructions.

--
-Nick B.
0 link
egan woseley
egan woseley

1/6/2015
egan woseley
egan woseley
Nick Bento wrote:

Nick thanks I just got it .thanks!!!
+1 link
egan woseley
egan woseley

1/6/2015
egan woseley
egan woseley
egan woseley wrote:
Nick Bento wrote:

Nick thanks I just got it .thanks!!!

yes it did told me press any key to continue
0 link