LOGIN  |  REGISTER
Smart Living Made Brilliant!
CASTLEOS FORUM

HomeScripting

A forum for information about scripting with CastleOS. Get samples, suggestions, and other help here

What I Am Working On Messages in this topic - RSS

Dominique Garcia
Dominique Garcia

1/6/2015
Dominique Garcia
Dominique Garcia
Hey everyone, I wanted to give you all a quick video on what I eventually plan on doing with CastleOS once my scripting learning binge is complete.

I am even trying to get a buddy of mine to join this community. We have made lots of things happen with other software however he doesn't have a Kinect at the moment which is why he hasn't just yet.

Anyways, here is a video. Check it out.

edited by dominique on 1/6/2015
+1 link
Nick Bento
Nick Bento

1/6/2015
Nick Bento
Nick Bento
That's pretty neat! One limitation of the Kinect that I could see being an issue for this is that it doesn't really support dictation grammars (It's theoretically possible to use them, but they don't work particularly well as they aren't designed for the Kinect like the regular grammars are). That would prevent some of the neat queries you have like being able to ask any question. One thing you could do (which I'm actually experimenting with for some stuff I got on the radar) is create a script or program to automatically generate a large amount of static grammar items and add them to the Kinect custom commands automatically, but that's not as dynamic as what you have going on here. Maybe the Kinect v2 will address that smile
Also if the program has any sort of API or any way to pass arguments to it remotely, it'd be pretty easy to get CastleOS to call it with some string of data and let it handle the rest.

--
-Nick B.
0 link
Dominique Garcia
Dominique Garcia

1/6/2015
Dominique Garcia
Dominique Garcia
Nick Bento wrote:
That's pretty neat! One limitation of the Kinect that I could see being an issue for this is that it doesn't really support dictation grammars (It's theoretically possible to use them, but they don't work particularly well as they aren't designed for the Kinect like the regular grammars are). That would prevent some of the neat queries you have like being able to ask any question. One thing you could do (which I'm actually experimenting with for some stuff I got on the radar) is create a script or program to automatically generate a large amount of static grammar items and add them to the Kinect custom commands automatically, but that's not as dynamic as what you have going on here. Maybe the Kinect v2 will address that smile
Also if the program has any sort of API or any way to pass arguments to it remotely, it'd be pretty easy to get CastleOS to call it with some string of data and let it handle the rest.

There is a way to integrate the programs, I just need some assistance from some of my partners on the Denise forums. Do-able though.
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

1/6/2015
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Dominique this is really cool. I'm curious to see what you come up with. Adding avatars to the system to give your house a face is something on our roadmap, so this would be cool to get some feedback on exactly what form it should take.
+1 link
Dominique Garcia
Dominique Garcia

1/6/2015
Dominique Garcia
Dominique Garcia
Chris Cicchitelli wrote:
Dominique this is really cool. I'm curious to see what you come up with. Adding avatars to the system to give your house a face is something on our roadmap, so this would be cool to get some feedback on exactly what form it should take.

I have a suggestion for you that may work.

A few months ago I looked into this, it is a company called Ubi Interactive. (Formally Ubi Displays)

The idea I had was to get Denise off the computer and onto my wall. This is something you could possibly do with your avatar. It would be something entirely unique and would likely grab the media's attention because no one is doing anything remotely like this. A home automation system that is controlled by voice with an avatar on a wall without a computer? Innovation!!!!
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

1/6/2015
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Projectors are an option. Wall mounted displays are as well. The bigger issue is to be effective it needs to be all around the home, and not just one place. So that's something we're researching on how to do cost effectively.

Have you ever seen the tv show Andromeda?
0 link
Dominique Garcia
Dominique Garcia

1/6/2015
Dominique Garcia
Dominique Garcia
Chris Cicchitelli wrote:
Projectors are an option. Wall mounted displays are as well. The bigger issue is to be effective it needs to be all around the home, and not just one place. So that's something we're researching on how to do cost effectively.

Have you ever seen the tv show Andromeda?

If you are trying to keep cost down it is likely only one area will have access to the avatar instead of an entire house. That is, unless you get a monitor to follow your every move.

(DONT FORGET TO TURN ON THE SUBTITLES)

The video above is cool, but not practical or most likely not very cost effective.

I think the projector is a better route to go. A monitor will have to be dedicated. A dedicated monitor will require a PC with multiple screens to completely dedicate a screen to an avatar. Aside from that, you PC will have to be in range of this screen. You have a little more wiggle room with a projector. That, plus it is really cool.

No, never seen Andromeda.
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

1/6/2015
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Check out the show, you'll like the lead character, Andromeda...
0 link