LOGIN  |  REGISTER
Smart Living Made Brilliant!
CASTLEOS FORUM

HomeCastleHUB

Information, FAQs, Q&As, and everything else related to the CastleHUB can be found here

New Hub questions Messages in this topic - RSS

Phil Hawthorne
Phil Hawthorne

10/29/2015
Phil Hawthorne
Phil Hawthorne
"For media apps like Netflix, Hulu, etc., that is built into Windows 10. Voice control is coming to those apps, and it's also possible now via custom scripting, i.e. to create a "computer open netflix" command. For playback control beyond that, it's expected that you'd add a remote off your choice."

Voice commands for Netflix aren't supported by custom scripting. Unless you've created one that you can share? Because I sure would like to tell my TV to play something and it does it.

And now we're expected to add a remote of our choice? But the selling point was complete voice control, "no more fumbling for a remote". I'd also like to reiterate, no remote we add will be compatible with Netflix on Windows 10. The Windows 10 app does not accept keyboard input, and will not appear as a Netflix player that can be casted to. Once you've opened Netflix on the CastleHub, you must use a mouse.
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

10/29/2015
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
The info on how to create a script to open any app of your choice, including Netflix, is in this thread: http://castleos.com/forum/topic385-remote-application-launcher.aspx

That said, it only opens the app for you. Within the Netflix app, I suggest using the built in voice search feature, but yes, that requires a wireless mouse remote. There are a lot of inexpensive options: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=htpc+remote&tag=castleos-20

Our voice control features, to play a show by name etc., will be primarily focused on Emby/Plex/Kodi. Unfortunately the Netflix app doesn't have an API for that, if they add it, we'll support it.
0 link
William Smith
William Smith

11/2/2015
William Smith
William Smith
Chris Cicchitelli wrote:
William Smith wrote:
I have not hooked mine up yet. But, I am assuming that it has Windows 10 Home? Would there be a problem if I wanted to upgrade it to Windows 10 Pro?
Thanks.

While it's technically possible, if you upgrade the OS, we can no longer warranty the custom factory image. Keep in mind it's optimized as a home automation hub, not a PC smile Also, with Windows 10, unless you're running in a corporate network, the pro version doesn't really carry any major benefits...

Thanks for your opinion but I am a network administrator and also run a network at home. I can think of at least one really good reason to have the Pro version on the Hub since you are using Windows to host your software anyway.

Also, I have no intention in using it as a PC and (being a minimalist) would love to uninstall/turnoff some of those live tiles you included in your image. But, I assume you would have done that yourself unless you thought they were necessary.
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

11/2/2015
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
William Smith wrote:
Chris Cicchitelli wrote:
William Smith wrote:
I have not hooked mine up yet. But, I am assuming that it has Windows 10 Home? Would there be a problem if I wanted to upgrade it to Windows 10 Pro?
Thanks.

While it's technically possible, if you upgrade the OS, we can no longer warranty the custom factory image. Keep in mind it's optimized as a home automation hub, not a PC smile Also, with Windows 10, unless you're running in a corporate network, the pro version doesn't really carry any major benefits...

Thanks for your opinion but I am a network administrator and also run a network at home. I can think of at least one really good reason to have the Pro version on the Hub since you are using Windows to host your software anyway.

Also, I have no intention in using it as a PC and (being a minimalist) would love to uninstall/turnoff some of those live tiles you included in your image. But, I assume you would have done that yourself unless you thought they were necessary.

Well like I said, since it's a Windows 10 Home install under the hood, you can do anything you'd be able to do with Windows 10 on any other box...being that you're a network admin you likely know what you're doing and won't require our support anyways...

As far as the tiles you can do anything you'd like with them, we've optimized the system to run headless so how it looks when it's connected to a monitor is up to you smile
0 link