LOGIN  |  REGISTER
Smart Living Made Brilliant!
CASTLEOS FORUM

HomeCastleOS API

Information, FAQs, Q&As, and everything else related to the CastleOS API can be found here

API Messages in this topic - RSS

Phil Hawthorne
Phil Hawthorne

4/2/2015
Phil Hawthorne
Phil Hawthorne
I'm looking forward to getting on board the CastleOS, and losing my bank balance to the home automation addiction.

As a web developer, I work a lot with REST API's, which run over HTTP.

I would really like to be able to extend the features of CastleOS with a REST API if possible. I haven't downloaded CastleOS yet to play with, but ideally I'd like to know:

1. Can CastleOS call external HTTP API's, or be taught how to? I'll take a look at the scripting tools available, but I've never created something in C. Some ideas that could be used include the "fluffy" ones like "post a tweet" or read Facebook status. But with HTTP API's there's a lot that can be done.
2. Can CastleOS be manipulated by a HTTP API? For example. a local webserver calling CastleOS via HTTP to turn on lights or the TV?

The only slight mention I found was in a previous topic, but it hasn't had much activity: http://www.castleos.com/forum/topic13-open-api.aspx
0 link
Phil Hawthorne
Phil Hawthorne

4/9/2015
Phil Hawthorne
Phil Hawthorne
Chris Cicchitelli wrote:
Hey Phil, the WCF API has been there since the beginning, the REST API was added a few months ago to support our Android App development. Both are available in the version you have downloaded. To discover the services, you can use any web service explorer and point it to CastleOS on your machine: http://localhost/CastleOS/service?wsdl You can also put that address in your web browser to see the raw XML if you'd like.

Perfect thanks! I'll give that a go. Is there a /help endpoint or anything I can use to see the annotations?

Chris Cicchitelli wrote:
The Custom Scripting as an Action is in testing now, and will be in the next release. We do currently have the Custom Scripting as a voice command.

There seems to be a lot of "crossover" between the Core service, and voice addons. I'll add another thread about this, as it does need to be cleaned up IMO.

Chris Cicchitelli wrote:
The cumulation of the Release Candidates is the version 2.0 release. Next up, in addition to the custom scripting as an action, is support for the TCP Connected protocol, among others. We'll be continually updating the software as we work towards the CastleHUB release this summer.

Awesome. A bit nit picky, but in a lifecycle, wouldn't the features that were going to be in 2.0 be finalized, before getting to a "release candidate" stage? Sounds like the software is still in development, and the "release candidates" you're releasing are bleeding edge feature builds.

MrMxyzptlk wrote:
Pushy, Pushy. I hear where you are going with this Phil. I too am very skeptical on the timeline, especially when you look at past threads and missing promised dates continually. I'm taking a calculated risk by backing the hub and running the software, as I feel that Microsoft probably has some skin in the game on this project...I guess only time will tell.

Sorry - I don't mean to be rude. I'm really excited about this product, and I want to help out as best I can. Programming and automation has always been a big passion of mine, so if I can help out in any way possible for the right product I will. However the past threads on the forum don't exactly give you anything to write home about just yet. But I think this product has a lot of potential, and I'm very excited for it.
+1 link
Michael Wallace
Michael Wallace

2/10/2016
Michael Wallace
Michael Wallace
Any update on 2.0 Chris?
+1 link