LOGIN  |  REGISTER
Smart Living Made Brilliant!
CASTLEOS FORUM

HomeGeneral Support

The general support forum topic for CastleOS - ask questions, get help, and more

Plex How to Messages in this topic - RSS

Chris Farwell
Chris Farwell

10/25/2015
Chris Farwell
Chris Farwell
I have a plex server and several mini-pc's in my home but can't seem to figure out how to control it with castleOS. I have a kinect connected to the one in my living room but can't seem to get anything but the time or weather using voice command. What are the commands to control / launch Plex?
0 link
Phil Hawthorne
Phil Hawthorne

10/25/2015
Phil Hawthorne
Phil Hawthorne
Hey Chris,

In the kinect config, you need to set your media player as plex, then select your plex player.

You won't have complete control. You will be able to play and pause only, by saying "computer, play" etc.

This is contrary to what was advertised on the kickstarter campaign.

"Last but certainly not least, if you use a Kinect or Android Wear smartwatch for voice control, you'll be able to control media apps with your voice! No more fumbling for remotes, just speak out loud to your TV!"

The kickstarter page shows a screenshot of the castle hub and Netflix open. However CastleOS doesn't support controlling Netflix. Just like it doesn't support complete control of Plex. So for the time being, you will still need to manually launch plex, scroll to your tv show and start it, then you can use voice to play and pause.

One other thing to note. If you have an IR to USB receiver, you can use it to navigate Pled with ease. However, Netflix cannot be controlled via the keyboard. The only way to watch a movie or TV show via Netflix on thethe castlehub is with a mouse. You can't just say "computer, play iron man". That won't work.
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

10/25/2015
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
I've updated the list of voice commands to include the media commands. There's a lot more than play/pause... check it out here:

http://www.castleos.com/forum/topic16-how-to-speak-to-castleos--kinect.aspx?MessageID=112#post112

More to come, as well!
0 link
Phil Hawthorne
Phil Hawthorne

10/26/2015
Phil Hawthorne
Phil Hawthorne
When you say "a lot more", there's only a handful more compatible with Plex. Maybe not even. Going to the menu, replay etc. And the play, stop, pause commands I mentioned. I also note that you didn't add any voice commands for Netflix to your list. So for now, we'll still be fumbling for our remotes (or the mouse if we want to watch Netflix) to watch media with castleOS.
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

10/26/2015
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
We're adding more advanced ones, for instance, call a song/movie/tv show by name. Or, play the latest in your library: "Computer, play the most recent episode of [show name]".
0 link
bob jackson
bob jackson

12/1/2016
bob jackson
bob jackson
Chris Cicchitelli wrote:
We're adding more advanced ones, for instance, call a song/movie/tv show by name. Or, play the latest in your library: "Computer, play the most recent episode of [show name]".

so did you guys all ready added more options to the plex controll?
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

12/5/2016
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Hi Bob, which options are you looking for?
0 link