LOGIN  |  REGISTER
Smart Living Made Brilliant!
CASTLEOS FORUM

HomeGeneral Q&A

Have non-support related questions? Ask them here!

Opinions of CastleOS / Hub so far? Messages in this topic - RSS

Ali Gomaa
Ali Gomaa

4/14/2016
Ali Gomaa
Ali Gomaa
Hi All,
I've been following Castle for a little bit now, been reading posts on Reddit, and I feel like Castle has great potential, and I'm very interested in pulling the trigger to start down the path of Home Automation. But I'd like to hear other people who are actually using the product and their opinion of it so far. I've read about ISY, Homeseer, and considered those as well, but reading Chris's posts on Reddit, I get the impression he's really trying to make an excellent product, and I think that's convincing me to go down the path of the CastleHub. My goal with Home Automation is to make it functional in the home. Here are my initial thoughts I'd like to start off with. I'd very much welcome to hear what other people are doing, so I can expand it's capabilities.
  • if the kids forgot to turn off their lights, in the morning, they get turned off or a notification that they are still on during the weekdays and they left for school.
  • Sensors for the bathroom, to turn on at night, at a low pre-defined setting, so it's not too bright in the middle of the night.
  • Switches for the bathroom light and fan, if the lights are off for x minutes, make sure the fan get turned off, or stay on for a few minutes to ensure the smell is gone smile
  • Notifications or even close the Garage door, after a certain hour at night if we forgot to close the door. What's a recommended Smart garage door opener that works with CastleOS?
  • Use a smart Door Lock such as Schlage to open and close the door remotely, or get notifications when the kids put their code in the door.
  • I'd like to add IP Camera's around the house for security, how well does Castle handle those?
  • I'm intrigued by the whole voice feature, I think that'll be cool.

So I'd like to hear what other people think,

Thanks
AliG
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

4/14/2016
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
  • "if the kids forgot to turn off their lights, in the morning, they get turned off or a notification that they are still on during the weekdays and they left for school." Yup, you can do this with scheduled events.
  • "Sensors for the bathroom, to turn on at night, at a low pre-defined setting, so it's not too bright in the middle of the night." A motion sensor can turn on the lights at a specified dim level.
  • "Switches for the bathroom light and fan, if the lights are off for x minutes, make sure the fan get turned off, or stay on for a few minutes to ensure the smell is gone" You can do this with events as well. It's also good for cases like detecting humidity or heat build up and turning on an exhaust fan.
  • "Notifications or even close the Garage door, after a certain hour at night if we forgot to close the door. What's a recommended Smart garage door opener that works with CastleOS?" Also possible with our event system. We support INSTEON and Z-Wave garage controllers.
  • "Use a smart Door Lock such as Schlage to open and close the door remotely, or get notifications when the kids put their code in the door." The first half of this is supported today, the second half is coming in May.
  • "I'd like to add IP Camera's around the house for security, how well does Castle handle those?" We're building a DVR, but for now that's still in development. We recommend using a separate app for your cameras...for the moment smile
0 link