LOGIN  |  REGISTER
Smart Living Made Brilliant!
CASTLEOS FORUM

HomeGeneral Q&A

Have non-support related questions? Ask them here!

Home theater question. Messages in this topic - RSS

Jason Davis
Jason Davis

10/11/2016
Jason Davis
Jason Davis
Hello all,

I have discovered CastleOS only yesterday and am very intrigued. I too am a huge Star Trek fan and the idea of voice control is very appealing to me.

I have a dedicated home theater and am looking to automate it. I think I have the lights figured out, my worry was to turn on all of the equipment. Right now everything is controlled via Harmony remote through an HP USB IR transmitter on my PC. I would love to keep the "watch a movie" command and have it automatically turn on or switch to all of the devices necessary to do so. The projector is not wifi enabled. Can CastleOS be used to operate an IR like a universal remote?

Also, I have an Xbox 360 Kinect to use, all it does is plug into the Xbox, will I need a power adapter to get it to work on my HTPC?

Sorry for all the noob questions.
Thanks in advance.
edited by TXATC on 10/11/2016
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

10/11/2016
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Hi Jason!

First off, thank you for your service!

Regarding the RF capabilities, there are a few ways you can do this. The recommended way is to upgrade to a Global Cache IR blaster that connects to the local network (wifi or ethernet). Then you can program in the IR commands you'd like, and assign them to a command like "Computer watch a movie". That one command can adjust the lights and blast out the IR signals.

In theory, you can also do this with your existing USB blaster, but I'm not immediately familiar enough with that model or how it works to say much beyond that.

Regarding the Kinect, yes you need the power/USB adapter. Should be around $10 on Amazon.

Thanks!

-Chris
0 link
Jason Davis
Jason Davis

10/11/2016
Jason Davis
Jason Davis
Thanks for the quick reply! I checked my Kinect when I got home and the guy I got it from already had the adapter, so money saved there! Now to find an IR blaster lol! I'm sure I'll have more questions later for now though, plugging along!
0 link
Damon Brodie
Damon Brodie

1/13/2017
Damon Brodie
Damon Brodie
Chris Cicchitelli wrote:
Hi Jason!

First off, thank you for your service!

Regarding the RF capabilities, there are a few ways you can do this. The recommended way is to upgrade to a Global Cache IR blaster that connects to the local network (wifi or ethernet). Then you can program in the IR commands you'd like, and assign them to a command like "Computer watch a movie". That one command can adjust the lights and blast out the IR signals.

In theory, you can also do this with your existing USB blaster, but I'm not immediately familiar enough with that model or how it works to say much beyond that.

Regarding the Kinect, yes you need the power/USB adapter. Should be around $10 on Amazon.

Thanks!

-Chris

I just posted almost the exact same question a little while ago. The one part that wasn't asked by the OP, that I asked in my post was around recognition of somebody in the room. Is it possible to have castleos fire off an event when the room goes from unoccupied to occupied (and vice versa), using the capabilities within Kinect?
edited by damonbrodie on 1/13/2017
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

1/13/2017
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
We do plan to add that feature, yes!
0 link
Damon Brodie
Damon Brodie

1/13/2017
Damon Brodie
Damon Brodie
Chris Cicchitelli wrote:
We do plan to add that feature, yes!

That's cool - any kind of a time frame for this (months or years away)? I had considered doing my own thing with a combination of Python (in Kodi as a plugin) and C# using the Kinect SDK, but this looks pretty viable.

You've got an interesting product - I'm intrigued :-)
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

1/13/2017
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Weeks smile

We have some other security-related stuff coming first for Kinect very soon, for instance, requiring a verbal passcode to unlock a door or open a garage.
+1 link