CASTLEOS FORUM

AVGeek

all messages by user

4/20/2015
Topic:
Hardware & setup for the newbie

T- Brad
T- Brad
Can CastleOS be installed on a PC running multiple applications/ programs (Daily PC for work & play) or does it require a dedicated PC? If the answer is the latter, does turning off the PC nightly have any negative effects on the CastleOS, besides not functioning while it’s off? Will I still be able to control all the Insteon devices manually when the PC is off?

If I was to buy a new mini PC, so that I could leave it on 24/ 7 how many USB ports should I ensure that it has? Looks like my options are from 4-6 USB ports. I know that 2 USB ports will be utilized for wireless keyoard / mouse and a second for Kinect. What other devices may my growing system need more USB ports for?

Currently my PC is running Windows 8.1 Pro with Windows Media Center added. If it’s best to go with a dedicated PC I would look to use the same as I’m most familiar with it. Any downside to this?

Currently I’m using the Insteon hub to control (6) Insteon dimmers and (1) Insteon Thermostat, will this hub suffice or do I need something else?

Does the PC require a microphone or is does the Kinect takes its place?

Does the PC require a speaker to acknowledge commands or does Kinect do that as well?

I’ve purchased the Xbox One Kinect (referred to a Kinect 2) and see a lot of forum discussions regarding required USB 3.0 and the necessary install of SDK. Can someone comment on what is the best way to get it connected?

Thank you in advance.
edited by AVGeek on 4/21/2015
4/25/2015
Topic:

T- Brad
T- Brad
Hi Chris,

Thank you for the detailed response to my previous post.

If I understand you correctly, since I purchased the Kinect 2, I should wait for the newest app before utilizing CasteOS?

Regarding the Kinect 2, I see it requires a special adapter to connect it to the USB 3.0 port. Is this the correct adapter retailing for $60 on Amazon (Link below)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NMSHT7E/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2CRS11RF94RX8

As it relates to USB, how can I determine if the USB ports are on the same or different buses? I’ve attached an image of one of my PC’s that I’m considering using to run CastleOS?

If they are on the same bus, would adding a USB card to my PCI or PCie slot add separate USB ports on a different bus?

Keeping my PC on all the time I may consider using a PC that is using Windows 7. Does CastleOS have any issues running on Win 7?

If yes, hopefully the new app for Kinect 2 that you’re developing will also work with Windows 7?

Thanks again!
4/26/2015
Topic:

T- Brad
T- Brad
Hi Phil,

Thank you so very much for the info. I purchased the item. For others looking for it I located the part # 9J7-00001.
Below is from Microsoft's site:
Kinect for Windows SDK 2.0

System Requirements

Supported Operating System: Embedded 8 Standard, Windows 8, Windows 8.1

• Recommended Hardware Configuration
  • 64-bit (x64) processor
  • 4 GB Memory (or more)
  • Physical dual-core 3.1 GHz (2 logical cores per physical) or faster processor
  • USB 3.0 controller dedicated to the Kinect for Windows v2 sensor*
  • DX11 capable graphics adapter**
  • A Microsoft Kinect v2 sensor, which includes a power hub and USB cabling

* If you're adding USB 3.0 functionality to your exisiting PC through a USB 3.0 host controller adapter, please ensure that it is a Windows 8 compliant device and that it supports Gen-2. See the release notes for additional information regarding USB 3.0 compatibility.

Install Instructions

To install the Kinect for Windows SDK 2.0:

• Make sure the Kinect sensor is not plugged into any of the USB ports on the computer.
      • From the download location, double-click on KinectSDK-v2.0_1409-Setup.exe
      • Once the Kinect for Windows SDK has completed installing successfully, ensure the Kinect sensor is connected to the power hub and the power hub is plugged into an outlet. Plug the USB cable from the power hub into a USB 3.0 port on your computer. Driver installation will begin automatically.
      • Wait for driver installation to complete. You can verify that installation has completed by launching Device Manager and verifying that "KinectSensor Device" exists in the device list. Note:On first plugin, the firmware on the device will be updated. This may result in the device enumeration happening several times in the first minute.
      • Installation is now complete.

edited by AVGeek on 4/26/2015
edited by AVGeek on 4/26/2015
5/9/2015
Topic:
USB Ports

T- Brad
T- Brad
How can I determine if the USB ports are on the same or different buses? I’ve attached an image of one of my PC’s that I’m considering using to run CastleOS?

If I am correct in assuming that they’re on a different bus, in theory would that mean that I could run up to 8 Kinects (Version 2)?

If they are on the same bus, would adding a USB card to my PCI or PCie slot add separate USB ports on a different bus?
5/13/2015
Topic:
Insteon Hub (2012) or Insteon Hub (2014)

T- Brad
T- Brad
What is the preferred Insteon hub to use with CastleOS and why?
3 are available:
Insteon Hub (2014) - Model # 2245-222.
Insteon Hub (2012) Rev 2 – Model #2242-222
Insteon Hub (2012) Rev 1 – Model #2242-222
5/13/2015
Topic:
Basic Installation with Insteon

T- Brad
T- Brad
I haven’t purchased the CastleOS yet, I’m trying to gather info to make a well thought out plan which includes ALL the necessary hardware and installation steps and then execute the plan over a weekend.

So far it’s taken me weeks just to understand what should take about 15 minutes of research. There does not seem to be any user guides for the most basic setup of say 1 Insteon dimmer. In adding to my Insteon system while trying to acquire this info from the forum, I was told by SmartHome (Located down the street from me) that I must add their PowerLinc Modem - INSTEON 2413S Serial Interface (Dual-Band) for $79.99. So here I am again asking if this is a necessity or not?

Is it just me, or shouldn’t there be a better system other than posting what should be the most basic questions that should be documented in a manual? Does the elusive manual exist?

Am I heading for heartbreak seeing that I don’t have the knowledge or understanding of the most basic needs for building a compatible system with Castle OS. Heck, installing Insteon is a cinch. Why, they provide instructions, even with pictures. Sorry for the sarcasm.

Here’s a briefs summary of my unanswered questions, eliminating me from moving forward:
  • - USB ports – How do I know if they’re on different buses?
  • - Insteon Hub. Do I need it to run CastleOS?
  • - If I need keep my Insteon hub seeing that I have 2, which one ifs preferred 2012 or 2014 and why? Or is there something better?
  • - Do I need to add the Insteon power link modem?
  • - I have now a dedicated PC, Kinect Vers 2, Kinect to PC adapter, SDK update installed, 6 Insteon dimmers, 2 Insteon ON/Off Switches, 2 Insteon hubs (Only 2012 being utilized), and an Insteon Thermostat. WHAT ELSE DO I REQUIRE TO RUN CASTLEOS?
  • - Referencing the above question, are there any other things I can add that will improve the performance or my experience with CastleOS.

edited by AVGeek on 5/13/2015
edited by AVGeek on 5/13/2015
5/15/2015
Topic:
Insteon Hub (2012) or Insteon Hub (2014)

T- Brad
T- Brad
I too am awaiting the answer. I too don't know if we need the Powerlinc modem in conjunction with the hub. Based on Chris's reply. The hub is a necessity but no word if the Powerlinc modem is. I posted this question 2 days ago on a separate post and still awaiting reply to it as well.
5/31/2015
Topic:
First Time Trying CastleOS - Not Successful

T- Brad
T- Brad
Installed CastleOS on PC running Win 8.1 Pro, Installed Core Services, Installed Kinect Service....now multiple issues.
1. Core Services when selecting added devices, the screen adds a bar and blocks the ability to see the devices. (See attached pic) Note: resolution of monitor is 4K.
2. Created new user account but 'admin' is left over. Can't delete 'admin' it because can't I enter it. I've changed the 'admin' password but can't log into it with the password using 'admin', 'Admin', 'administrator', or 'Administrator'.
3. In Protocol settings, when selecting 'Insteon' and enable it, when I logout and back it defaults to 'disabled'.
4. I had already installed SDK 2.0 for my Kinect version 2 but proceeded to add CastleOS Kinect Service in addition. Upon successful verification of credentials it still lists '0' Kinects. Odd because I can use the Kinect to record video, heat signature, etc. but I am brand new to using Kinect and have to access it via Microsoft's SDK. I'm not sure if its staying on for Castle OS to recognize it.
5. Is it necessary to add the Kinect Developer Toolkit version v 1.8.0572. With SDK 2.0 I think this is old? I've added it but will remove if not necessary for CastleOS.
6. Do I need to have 'Speech Recognition' enabled or active on the PC?
7. Is there a benefit to having CastleOS on my mobile device? I have no interest in knowing how much wattage I'm using.
5/31/2015
Topic:

T- Brad
T- Brad
Thank you for the quick reply.
1. I'm using the latest Internet Explorer, version 11 with all updates installed.
2. It will not accept the new password. I even uninstalled CastleOS, reloaded a new image of the Win 8.1 Pro OS, fresh install of the core services and had the same issue on both.
3. This PC is bare bones and connecting via wireless connection on an AC3000 router. PC is running the OS and CastleOS only. When I input IP address of the hub I get and error message 99% of the time when enabling Insteon protocols. (Black screen with white writing). Literally, 25 out of 30 times but it does eventually list the PLM ID. Something to note, When I add Insteon devices it says it can not automatically add them but when I go to the device list they're there.
4. I will uninstall later and await the new update. I guess until the update comes I can't use CastleOS.
5. Answered in 4.
6. To control Windows 8.1 via voice you have to enable 'Speech recognition'. By default its off, so I will leave it off.
7. Answered

Thanks again
edited by AVGeek on 5/31/2015
6/1/2015
Topic:

T- Brad
T- Brad
Thank you again for the quick reply.
I will try using a different search engine this evening if I have the opportunity. If time does not permit I will have to try tomorrow.
Thank you for the offer to log into my system, I think its a great option. You can see it first hand and who knows your product better than you. Do you prefer to log in before or after the release of the Kinect Version 2 software. I support it either way. I'm generally available after 5pm Mon-Fri (PST) and weekends I can make myself available anytime.
Big thanks,
T.
6/1/2015
Topic:

T- Brad
T- Brad
Great - Thank you.
Here's is an interesting oddity that I forgot to mention. Since installing the Core Services, Kinect Services, & SDK 2.0 my screen will intermittently go black for about a second. It happens at random maybe every 2-5 minutes or so. I can't determine which one is causing it due to installing back to back. I did create a restore point at each process so I will revert back until it goes away. Any idea what could be causing this?
As it relates to installing a new search engine, do I need to turn IE 11 off (If even possible) or just load a new search engine?
Thanks again
6/1/2015
Topic:

T- Brad
T- Brad
Thanks Chris.
I agree. I think it started to happen after the install of the Kinect Developer Toolkit version v 1.8.0572. Which as you mentioned is not needed with Kinect vers. 2.
I'll install Chrome.
6/9/2015
Topic:

T- Brad
T- Brad
Hi Chris,

Thank you for all the valuable feedback on the other posts.
Wanted to see if you had made any progress on the Kinect (Version 2) driver / installer?

Thanks
6/9/2015
Topic:

T- Brad
T- Brad
Chris Cicchitelli wrote:
I'm sorry for the confusion, you do NOT need a separate USB or serial PLM if you already have either of those INSTEON hubs. The 2014 version is better as it's dual band, but they both work.

We have a full setup guide for INSTEON here: http://www.castleos.com/forum/topic290-how-to-set-up-automation-protocols.aspx#post1879

Other than that, I think you have everything you need!

You mention in this post the 2014 Insteon hub is better, but in another post you mentioned the 2014 hub is not supported by CaslteOS. If I recall correctly you mentioned it was not supported currently due to be Cloud based.
6/9/2015
Topic:

T- Brad
T- Brad
Chris Cicchitelli wrote:
T- Brad wrote:
Chris Cicchitelli wrote:
I'm sorry for the confusion, you do NOT need a separate USB or serial PLM if you already have either of those INSTEON hubs. The 2014 version is better as it's dual band, but they both work.

We have a full setup guide for INSTEON here: http://www.castleos.com/forum/topic290-how-to-set-up-automation-protocols.aspx#post1879

Other than that, I think you have everything you need!

You mention in this post the 2014 Insteon hub is better, but in another post you mentioned the 2014 hub is not supported by CaslteOS. If I recall correctly you mentioned it was not supported currently due to be Cloud based.

Sorry, to be clear, there are three hub types. The first gen single band PLM-based hub (supported), the second gen dual band PLM-based hub (supported), and the new third gen cloud-based hubs (not supported yet). The actual models cross year boundaries, so we should probably stop referring to them that way...

Below are the model #'s for easy referencing in the future:
Insteon Hub (2014) - Model # 2245-222.
Insteon Hub (2012) Rev 2 – Model #2242-222
Insteon Hub (2012) Rev 1 – Model #2242-222
6/20/2015
Topic:

T- Brad
T- Brad
Hi Chris,
I'm still having the same issue identified in #1 below. I've added a fresh install of 8.1 Pro, new up to date drivers, installed google chrome, still same issue. Note I have not installed Kinect service or SDK. Only software added is WMC and CastleOS.
1. Core Services when selecting added devices, the screen adds a bar and blocks the ability to see the devices. (See attached pic) Note: resolution of monitor is 4K.
Thanks
6/20/2015
Topic:

T- Brad
T- Brad
How do I know which one its using IE or Chrome?
6/20/2015
Topic:

T- Brad
T- Brad
Its fixed smile Looks like it has to be launched in Google. I had to copy it in Google search bar and its displays perfectly. Is there a way to tell the desktop icon to launch in Google or do I need to create a favorites tab and launch via Google that way?
How you looking on the Kinect V2 release? I guess this is a far as I can go until its released?
6/20/2015
Topic:

T- Brad
T- Brad
All Insteon devices. Switchlink dimmers and a single thermostat. Security cameras will be added shortly but I've heard bad things about Insteon's camera's. Do you have a security camera brand you prefer? I'm looking to add 3 cameras.
Thank you!!!!
6/20/2015
Topic:

T- Brad
T- Brad
Now that I'm using Chrome, NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS!
In protocols Insteon keeps reverting back to disabled. If I can get to stay enabled when trying to test a switchlinc device, its states waiting for PC.