CASTLEOS FORUM

eliashall

all messages by user

4/26/2015
Topic:
Questions before trying/buying

Elias Hall
Elias Hall
Hi, I currently have a pretty extensive setup with Zwave switches and motion sensors, door sensors, trane thermostat and an Aeon Labs z-stick -All Z-Wave. I currently run some other Zwave controller software in a windows 7 virtual machine on a Dell rack server running ESXi.

Before I spend money on a Kinect + USB adapter, can I expect my Zwave Sensors, Z-Stick etc to work with CastleOS on a virtual machine?

My main reason for switching is the voice control, are there any recommendations before I go ahead an pick up a Kinect?
CastleOS started as an Insteon focused product, how mature is the Z-Wave support?
If the above suits me, I'll probably start with the trial, what are the limitations to the Castle OS trial?
4/26/2015
Topic:

Elias Hall
Elias Hall
Thanks for the quick reply, what about Kinect functionality? how many Kinect's can I use?
is there any reason to use a V2 vs v1 Kinect? I see a lot of used Kinect 360's on Ebay and adding a USB adapter for PC seems easy enough.
4/26/2015
Topic:

Elias Hall
Elias Hall
WOW you just made my day, each bedroom has an AIO computer already in it. Thanks for the help, I'll have a Kinect on order within the hour and hopefully I can get some testing started this coming week!
So with multiple computers, and multiple Kinects, can CastleOS do location awareness for voice commands, thus eliminating the need to say something like "turn the master bedroom lights on"; instead just ask for the "lights on"?
4/27/2015
Topic:
Z-Wave inconsistently responsive

Elias Hall
Elias Hall
I installed CastleOS tonight, and while I am trying to name all my devices, I have noticed that for long periods of time, the blue LED on the Z-Stick does not function. during this time I cannot send nor receive Z-Wave commands.,
I don't have to be doing anything for this problem to occur. as I type this the LED came on for about 30 seconds and then went off again.
This issue did not occur with my previous Z-Wave software.

Any tips I can employ to try and resolve this oddity?
4/27/2015
Topic:

Elias Hall
Elias Hall
all other software is disabled, I am simply turning on and off devices that were already associated with the stick and trying to figure out where they are so that I can add names. they were all detected as ID numbers (as expected)
4/27/2015
Topic:

Elias Hall
Elias Hall
not always, but I know that my dining room dimmer will cause the problem to occur. I have not been able to correspond the issue to anything in particular though when it happens without making any changes.
I have several door sensors (aeon labs surface mount and hidden) and a couple of Aeonlabs multi sensors. there's no telling what they are doing as they report randomly as far as I know.
4/27/2015
Topic:

Elias Hall
Elias Hall
There's no need to be sorry, This is all part of the challenge. smile I had already decided to forget about the dining room dimmer and continue trying to match devices to ID's. but there are lots of other devices that are not reporting status changes or enacting changes sent through CastleOS.... is it possible that some of the commands are being dropped because sensors are being used as relays and they are not always awake?
4/27/2015
Topic:

Elias Hall
Elias Hall
Enerwave dimmers, GE switches and Aeonlabs Door and multi sensors. I have some GE recessed sockets as well.
I don't have a lot of variety. I think everything I have other than the recessed door sensors is on your HCL.
4/27/2015
Topic:

Elias Hall
Elias Hall
It is very inconsistent, for example, I can toggle the guest light on from CastleOS, and it does not come on right away, it may be 5 minutes or more., but some devices like my Aeon Labs dimmer module will work every time (as long as the LED is blue on the Z-Stick)
edit: now nothing is responding. I have tried re-seating the USB stick and restarting COS.
edited by eliashall on 4/27/2015
4/27/2015
Topic:

Elias Hall
Elias Hall
sure what timezone? I'm CST, I get home around 6:30PM
4/27/2015
Topic:

Elias Hall
Elias Hall
Chris Cicchitelli wrote:
Also, if you can, please upload your errors.xml and configuration.xml files from the folder C:\ProgramData\CastleOS\CastleOS Core Service

Thanks!!

where should I upload them to?
4/28/2015
Topic:

Elias Hall
Elias Hall
Chris, Thank you for your help yesterday, After completely removing CastleOS along with the program data and re-installing the program I was able to get a far better result. I also got the Kinect working on one of my AIO desktops.
however was unable to get the kinect utility to detect it on my ESXI guest despite passing the device through and it being fully detected in device manager. I'm not sure if this is a limitation with being a virtual operating system or something else.
I have a mediacenter PC in the common area of the house which will probably work but I would prefer the common area be managed by a Kinect attached to the server.
if you have any ideas as to the reason i was unsuccessful i'd love to her them.
also, I can't get the thermostat to allow for levels to be set in themes. I can control temperature from the device tree but not scenes or voice commands.
also, I need to figure out how to set the sensor classes up correctly as they are all just seen as generic sensors. any tips would be greatly appreciated.
edited by eliashall on 4/28/2015
4/28/2015
Topic:

Elias Hall
Elias Hall
Chris Cicchitelli wrote:
The Microsoft Kinect driver only allows Kinect for Windows devices to pass through to virtual machines. The Xbox 360 models do not work with visualization. Both the new Kinect versions work with VMs.

I'm on mobile now but will email you later about the sensors...

Thanks for the info Chris, I will adjust my plans accordingly as I don't have USB3 on this Dell R710 Server, plus my HA OS does not support USB3 natively and thus can't be used with ESXi. I guess I need to use my media center PC.

Is there any way to have the Core OS announcements play on a set of speakers hosted on the media center PC?

here are a few things I been unable to configure as of yet:

can I ask energy status with a voice command?
I'd like to set door open sensor to activate light and then turn off when closing door -Pantry door
Have door sensor activate light and then turn off 60 seconds after door is closed - Laundry room and passage to garage.
set a door open sensor to turn on the light and stay on when door is closed, then next time it is opened, turn off the light. (just by checking previous state?) -Bathroom doors
when bath or laundry fan is switched on, start a timer to turn off automatically after one hour - evacuate moisture after shower or laundry

be able to interact with my Trane Zwave thermostat with voice commands or scenes. (kinect service does not see a thermostat and scenes only allow on/off change on thermostat)
4/28/2015
Topic:

Elias Hall
Elias Hall
Chris Cicchitelli wrote:

The thermostat should show up in the Kinect Configurator - it does show correctly in Climate in the app right?

-Chris

I'm not sure how it's supposed to look as this is just day 2 for me on COS, but I see something as shown attached under thermostats in climate.

4/28/2015
Topic:

Elias Hall
Elias Hall
Chris Cicchitelli wrote:
In that event, it looks like you have the pantry door set to turn on, rather than the light? The trigger is correct, but you want the light in the Actions list, not the trigger/sensor.

yeah, I just deleted my post when I saw that. but you beat me to an answer. it still doesn't work though.
Here is my Laundry Light, same setup. GE switch, Aeon labs Sensor
4/28/2015
Topic:

Elias Hall
Elias Hall
Nothing in the log, I also noticed that COS does not update device status when a switch is turned on manually. I may try upgrading the firmware in the Z-Stick.
4/28/2015
Topic:

Elias Hall
Elias Hall
Chris Cicchitelli wrote:
CastleOS should be polling that device every 60 seconds, my guess is the sensor is not replying to the poll. Which model sensor is it? Do you know off hand if it supports "association"?

yes, it is Aeon Labs Aeotec Z-Wave Door/Window Sensor, 2nd Edition (DSB29-ZWUS).
I had all of my sensors set with association in the prior software.
Also, I still can't explain why a light switch manually operated isn't reflected in COS.
edited by eliashall on 4/28/2015
4/28/2015
Topic:

Elias Hall
Elias Hall
Chris Cicchitelli wrote:
Does it ever say "Laundry Door open"?

no. in fact even doors I left open all day still show closed.
4/28/2015
Topic:

Elias Hall
Elias Hall
Chris Cicchitelli wrote:
Ok, it's probably a problem there with the association. I'll get our z-wave expert on this tomorrow and will get back to you... sorry about this!!

No problem. The voice control is all worth it.
Also please remember my Thermostat issues.
4/28/2015
Topic:

Elias Hall
Elias Hall
Chris Cicchitelli wrote:
Ok, it's probably a problem there with the association. I'll get our z-wave expert on this tomorrow and will get back to you... sorry about this!!

No problem. The voice control is all worth it.
Also please remember my Thermostat issues.