videobear

all messages by user

10/20/2015
Topic:
CastleHUB Updates - July 29th

videobear
videobear
Woot! UPS says it will arrive tomorrow.
Chris, why isn't this being shouted from the rooftops?
10/23/2015
Topic:
Where to put the HUB?

videobear
videobear
Up until now, I was planning on putting the HUB in my router closet (actually the upper shelf of my hall coat closet!), because 1) it's out of the way, 2) it's an easy Ethernet connection to the home network, 3) there's a power outlet handy, and 4) it's in a central location for good radio/wifi coverage. But after getting the HUB, I see that it has a microphone input or a USB connection, so it could be used to hook up voice control, at least on the main floor of the house. And I had a spare 1 TB 2.5" hard drive that I plugged in there, so I suppose I could use it as a media server too...although I have much more media storage in my HTPC and on my NAS.

So...what do you all suggest as to a good place to put this magic 8 ball? Our house is three levels...finished basement, main floor, and second floor.
edited by videobear on 10/23/2015
12/5/2015
Topic:
CastleHUB licence

videobear
videobear
I have the same issue, Chris. Could you please send me a license key? Thank you.
12/5/2015
Topic:
HUB up...sort of. Some Observations and Questions

videobear
videobear
I connected the HUB directly to my router via Ethernet. Found the IP address, and the CastleOS app can see and run the HUB from my desktop computer or my smartphone. I also connected an Aeon Labs Z-stick Gen 5 to the USB port on the side of the HUB, and I enabled ECOBEE protocol and the HUB sees my Ecobee3 thermostat. All of this is good! Z-wave smart switches and dimmers will go in soon, and hopefully I'll be able to connect and control them, too.

However, I am having a few problems/issues.

1. Email setup. When I enter my email username and email password, clicking Save seems to remove the password from the box. Sending a test email to another email account or to my own email account does not produce a test message in my inbox, whether I hit the test button while the password box shows an entry, or not.

2. Frequent crashes. MANY times I get a "Something has gone wrong!" message and have to restart the app. Sometimes without even doing anything.

3. Network. When I look at this box in Settings, it says "Wifi not connected" which is true. It also says "Ethernet not connected", which is obviously UNtrue, or the app would not see the HUB at all!

4. About. I seem to have the latest version of CastleOS. How can I tell if I need any updates or Win10 updates? And if so, how to install them? Also, how can I access the hard drive I installed in the HUB to add media or files? I can only access the HUB with the CastleOS app. If I try to open it directly from its network icon as a computer on the network, that doesn't work. Also, I need a license key (noted in another thread.)
12/5/2015
Topic:

videobear
videobear
Thanks, Chris. The license key worked!

Still having problems with email. I tried giving it both my Verizon email (port 465) and my gmail (port 587). Still can't get a test message through.

The HUB is supposed to be a Windows computer, right? I can see it in my network as CASTLEHUB, but I can't open it and look inside, and it does not show up in My Computer. How can I get the thing to, for example, join my Homegroup and enable file sharing?

(Additional. I tried to Add Network Location and got "Windows cannot access \\CASTLEHUB" error code 0x80070035 the network path was not found.)
edited by videobear on 12/5/2015
12/6/2015
Topic:

videobear
videobear
"What are you trying to do with it?"

I'm just trying to see inside the CASTLEHUB computer from my desktop computer, in the same way I can "see" the folders of any other computer on the network. From some other posts I've read, I gather that this is not possible. I'll have to connect a keyboard and monitor to the HUB to get access to its programs, data and drives. Is that correct? To give a specific example: I downloaded the latest drivers and tools for the Aeotec Gen5 stick, and would like to install them in the HUB. The downloads currently reside on my desktop computer. I can't get "into" the HUB to install these files, at least not from another computer on the network.
12/6/2015
Topic:

videobear
videobear
wolfpaw wrote:
I thought this hub was supposed to have a web UI to interact with it?

Why is everybody trying to use it as a computer and not a control hub. . .

At least I won't need a montior, just as long as its got a sound out, and I'm good, just a keyboard and head phones and hit enter space bar and I'm good as pie.

There are many reasons why we want access to the HUB as a computer. The web based UI is fine for using it as a smart home controller. But if you want to install drivers for another device, or install software, or use it as a home theatre PC/media controller, you need access to it as a Windows machine so you can do things like run Plex or Netflix.
12/8/2015
Topic:
Adding Z-wave Devices

videobear
videobear
I have the HUB running, and an Aeotec Z-stick Gen 5 plugged into the USB port. The Z-wave protocol is enabled. I also have a couple of GE/Jasco Z-wave smart wall switches. How do I get the HUB to see these? I tried detaching the Z-stick and pairing them with it, which seemed to work OK. But there are no new Devices in the HUB's list.
12/9/2015
Topic:
Adding Z-wave Devices

videobear
videobear
Thanks, Mike...but I found the Add button for Z-wave devices, in the Z-Wave protocol section!
12/9/2015
Topic:
Smart Switches, LEDs, and No Neutrals

videobear
videobear
I am running into a problem with neutral wires. Or more precisely, the lack of them. My older home has many switches that don't have neutrals in the switch box. Running new wiring from the breaker panel to the switch boxes may prove to be too costly. Most smart switches made to control LED/CFL lights require a neutral wire!

I found a possible solution. Lutron Caseta switches do NOT require a neutral, although they cost a little more than GE/Jasco switches. However, they don't use the Z-wave protocol, but their own Clear Connect protocol. So here's my question: Will the HUB talk to them?
12/9/2015
Topic:
Smart Switches, LEDs, and No Neutrals

videobear
videobear
Thanks! I know about neutrals, and how most switches that don't need them also won't work with LEDs. What I need to know is, can the HUB speak to Lutron Caseta switches?
12/13/2015
Topic:
Unboxing CastleHUB

videobear
videobear
Nope. The HUB has "support" for Z-wave, but no radio is included. I'm using an Aeotec Z-stick Gen 5, plugged into the USB port.
12/13/2015
Topic:
Garage Door Opener, and Deleting devices & groups

videobear
videobear
I bought a Linear GD-00Z4 Z-wave garage door device. This connects to your existing garage door opener, and uses a tilt sensor attached to the door to detect if it's open or closed. I was able to add it to the Castle network with no problems, but the HUB does not correctly detect the open or closed status of the door, and it does not actually operate the door, either. I also discovered that once a device or a group is created, I can't delete it! I hit the "delete" button in Edit Device or Edit Group, but nothing happens.

Any suggestions on solving these issues?
edited by videobear on 12/14/2015
12/14/2015
Topic:
Unboxing CastleHUB

videobear
videobear
Assistive Tech Dad wrote:
Here is the text from the backer level I chose. Please let me know if I misunderstood this, as I would need to get a Z-Wave stick ASAP. Thank you.

GET ONE + DONATE ONE: Get a CastleHUB for yourself at the same time you donate a HUB on behalf of a disabled person. Many of America's disabled, including veterans, are on a fixed income and cannot afford this technology on their own. We can help! Includes a CastleHUB and a USB adapter for Z-Wave.

Oh, OK. I didn't realize you were part of the Kickstarter program. I wasn't, and just got an introductory price for my HUB. Ignore my earlier comment.
12/15/2015
Topic:
Remote Viewing on android phone

videobear
videobear
I can't connect remotely either, but my error message is different. "CastleOS is unable to automatically detect the Core Service running on a local computer..."
12/16/2015
Topic:
Remote Viewing on android phone

videobear
videobear
Chris Cicchitelli wrote:
videobear wrote:
I can't connect remotely either, but my error message is different. "CastleOS is unable to automatically detect the Core Service running on a local computer..."

This with the Android app? Are you able to connect from elsewhere?

Yes, this is with the Android app. I can connect when I am at home and connected to my home network.
12/16/2015
Topic:

videobear
videobear
Thanks, but that's not a lot of help. How do I find and remove the link table on the Z-Stick? And I am not at all sure about the "Security profile" being the problem. The door opener information says nothing about a security profile, and the the basic operation is extremely simple. The Z-link device plugs right into the same terminals as the manual garage door push button switch. All it has to do is close a bloody contact, not go through some security routine.
12/16/2015
Topic:
Extremely frustrated...nothing works

videobear
videobear
I have about had it with this so-called smart hub. The user interface is clunky...who ever heard of having to click the mouse 67 times to raise the temperature setpoint from zero to a reasonable value? It says the ambient temperature is zero, and when I try to use it to set my Ecobee thermostat it says, "sorry, something has gone wrong, try again." And again...and again. It appears to pair with all of my Z-wave devices, and can correctly tell if a light is dimmable or not. But it will not actually CONTROL any of them. I can't access anything remotely from my Android phone. Not that it would do me any damn good if I could, because the stupid HUB won't turn a single thing on or off.

I think I'll revert to light switches. They always work.
12/17/2015
Topic:

videobear
videobear
Kevin Mathews wrote:
Just by chance, you don't happen to using the Liftmaster 3800 jackshaft-operator are you?

No. Sears chain drive opener, segmented door.
12/17/2015
Topic:

videobear
videobear
Christopher Gross wrote:
Hey,
If I'm correct the z stick table is actually on the z stick itself. I had a similar issue where the hub wasn't seeing a device correctly. I had to remove the stick ( after I powered down ) and follow the directions to remove the device from the stick from the sticks manufacture instructions. Then when the device proved removed or not connected to any network by the led on the device I put it back into the usb on the hub and powered back up. I checked device manager and verified the com port the hub saw the stick on and then under where you can enable zwave I corrected the comport and enabled it. Then clicked add device and hit the set button on the device to pair again. This time I got the motion sensor to work but... Still no temp or humitity reading. So yeah, try removing the device from the stick manually. Hope this helps some.
Chris gross

Thanks, Chris, I'll try this. I must say, though, that I've tried adding Z-wave devices (including the garage door) to the HUB in two ways...one, by pairing the device first with the Z-stick, and the other, by pairing it with the HUB without doing anything with the Z-stick. In both cases, although the HUB sees the device, it won't control it. I will try un-pairing all the devices from both the HUB and the Z-stick and starting over from scratch.