valtek

all messages by user

3/19/2016
Topic:
"What's the time?" response

Grant Vallis
Grant Vallis
Hello Chris,
I've just started "playing" with your software, I used to use Homeseer, but I like what I've seen so far. I like the "community" feeling of your product and forums. Well done!
I have a couple of questions. I've got my Kinect working and I'm very impressed. However, when I ask "Computer, what's the time?", instead of saying "ten, thirty one", the response will be "ten to thirty one". It seems the system to seeing "10:31" as a ratio instead of a time. Is this a regional settings issue for something with the software?
My second question is about setting up an event. When setting the starting and ending times for turning a light on or off for example, would it be possible to add a random "security" adjustment to the start and end times? Let's say you want the light to turn on at 8:00pm, with a random security adjustment of maybe +/- 10 minutes, the light could turn on anytime between 7:50pm and 8:10pm, giving the impression that someone is home. What do you think?
You've done a great job Chris! I'm excited to see what new ideas you've got planned.
Thanks,
Grant
3/19/2016
Topic:
"What's the time?" response

Grant Vallis
Grant Vallis
Hi Chris,

I figured out what my problem was, it was the voice I was using.

Many years ago, I wrote a text-to-speech application for a friend's father, who lost his voice to throat cancer. In order to have the voice sound a little more "human", I purchased a voice library from a company called NeoSpeech.

The voices sounded very natural, so I thought I would try them with CastleOS and they work quite nicely, until I ask for the time. LOL!!! The funny thing is only the one voice adds the "to" in between the hour and the minutes while the other 2 don't, go figure.

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for your assistance.

Grant
3/27/2016
Topic:
A couple of scripting questions

Grant Vallis
Grant Vallis
Hi Chris,
I have a couple of scripting questions for you. The first one, will there be a way to store scripts in a repository folder on, say a shared folder so multiple "Kinect" PC's" can access them? This way the script and any accompanying files can be in one location instead of on each PC. If I try to read from a shared folder, the Kinect service crashes.
For example, I have written a program and script to compile from various RSS feeds and create a text file that the Kinect service can read and speak on command. I would like to call this command from anywhere in my house, but for now I have to have this program and script loaded on each Kinect PC.
My second question is about the script command ScriptingAPI.Speak(). Right now, I need to read in the entire text file before executing the ScriptingAPI.Speak() statement, otherwise it will start talking over itself. Is there a way to have the script read a line, then speak a line, then read, then speak, etc.?
Here is the script I wrote, you'll also be able to the commented "using" line for which I mentioned in my first question
using System; // Define system libraries
using System.IO;
using CastleOSKinectService;
public class RSSFeed
{
public void Main(string[] args)
{
using (StreamReader sr = new StreamReader("C:\\ProgramData\\CastleOS\\CastleOS Kinect Service\\Scripts\\RSSOutput.txt"))
// using (StreamReader sr = new StreamReader("L:\\RSSOutput.txt")) // Create instance of StreamReader & path/name of file
{
string line; // Define variable type
string msg; // Define variable type
msg = ""; // Clear contents
while ((line = sr.ReadLine()) != null) // Read lines from file until EOF
{
msg = msg + " " + line; // Add each line from file
}
msg = msg + " " + "End of Headlines"; // Add a closing comment
ScriptingAPI.Speak(msg); // Speak the headlines
}
}
}
Thanks
Grant
4/24/2016
Topic:
Multiple microphones

Grant Vallis
Grant Vallis
Hi Chris,

Earlier in this thread you said "multiple Kinects can be linked together to cover large rooms as well, they'll talk to each other and make sure they're sending only one command to the central processor."

Do both Kinects need to be connected to a single PC? Also, what is the most optimal placement for a Kinect, high on a wall, corner, facing up, down or straight out?

Thanks,

Grant
5/17/2016
Topic:
How do you link multiple Kinects?

Grant Vallis
Grant Vallis
Hi Chris,

In an earlier thread you said "multiple Kinects can be linked together to cover large rooms as well, they'll talk to each other and make sure they're sending only one command to the central processor."

How is this done? Do both Kinects need to be connected to a single PC? Also, what is the most optimal placement for a Kinect, high on a wall, in a corner, tilting up, tilting down or straight out?

Thanks,

Grant
5/18/2016
Topic:
How do you link multiple Kinects?

Grant Vallis
Grant Vallis
videobear wrote:
Grant,

From what I've read here, you don't actually "link" multiple Kinects. Each Kinect requires its own dedicated USB bus, which will limit the number of them you can plug into a single computer. It's a bit more expensive, but one way to use multiple Kinects is to hook each one to its own dedicated little tiny computer, such as an Intel Compute Stick (for example).

Hello VideoBear,

Thank you so much for replying to my question, I understand what you are saying, I've been experimenting with multiple Kinects, but in different rooms. The main floor of my condo is pretty much an open concept, making it a little difficult for one Kinect to "hear" all commands depending on where you are in the room(s). So, I was hoping to add an additional Kinect into the equation. "Devin F" created a thread called "Multiple microphones" (http://www.castleos.com/forum/topic19-multiple-microphones.aspx). In this thread, in Chris' 2nd response to Devin, he made the following statement, "Also, multiple Kinects can be linked together to cover large rooms as well, they'll talk to each other and make sure they're sending only one command to the central processor." but didn't elaborate further.

This is what I'm hoping to do.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Grant