CASTLEOS FORUM

love-the-tech

all messages by user

12/14/2016
Topic:
Cannot Get UPB Devices to load on CastleHUB

Gregory Martin
Gregory Martin
I am trying to setup UPB devices, however, the current verion of CastleOS on CastleHUB won't show any devices, just black screen but found log is reporting errors;

PIM_SEND:: ERROR: UPB Device NAK'd message Device No Tabs UFR (17) QUERYING STATE
DEVICE[15]:: Unknown channel report for device (channel 3) -- ignored

I attached a more complete error log.

Here's what has happened in greater detail so far....

Received the CastleHUB a couple of days ago. First boot resulted in CastleOSAppLauncher crashed which was unexpected but connecting a monitor to the HUB, I realized a hub restart would fix, so attached a keyboard to restart Windows (app was down so no other way to access the hub).

Web UI finally came up and was available a couple of times until I loaded the extraordinarily and seems like an unnecessarily long license key after which the CastleOS settings page went away and returned with the white screen of death. Quite a few reboots and reading the local system logs resolved nothing.
Having found many posts about the white screen issue on multiple forums, I realized CastleOS must have corrupted itself or Windows 10 updates broke it of which restoring the config file from a backup seems to be the resolution to this type of common issue. So now I load the CastleOS license again and shows activated (after some refreshes, the Web UI is not very good) so I proceeded to setup the UPB function.

Another CastleOS forum references an Amazon page for a USB PIM for UPB controls but there is another post where a reference is made that it will be fixed in a few days but months later it is not, which means only the DB9 PIM model is supported. Because the CastleHUB has no DB9 serial port, I am left to use a USB keyspan adapter to the DB9 port which shows to be working within the CastleHUB's Windows 10 OS via UPStart, assigned to COM3. I believed I loaded the UPB file correctly and set active, but NO devices however!

Viewing the error log, I realized CastleOS through the Web UI showed the UPB file was uploaded, in reality is was not and also showed UPB is active, but it is NOT. Apparently the UPB export file has to have a specific file extension that CastleOS then renames and drops into the Appdata directory. So now I export the UPStart file with the correct extension and import into CastleOS whichs shows the same UPB active message as before, but this time, I heard the PIM checking the network (hooray or so I thought) but still NO devices in Web UI. I waited an hour or so, still no devices. Restart, no devices. Power off then power on, still no devices. Sadly, CastleOS is now reporting a new problem in the Error.xml file about an unknown channel report and an error with acknowledgement message.

So today, I powered on the CastleHUB to retrieve the error log for a forum post but found a new issue when selecting Settings, I receive a message "Error Something went wrong! Please use the menu above to try again". I'll try a reboot to see if I can make that error message go away but at least I have the UPB errors retrieved from Windows. Surprising that there is not a web page with the errors listed within CastleOS.
edited by love-the-tech on 12/14/2016
edited by love-the-tech on 12/14/2016
12/14/2016
Topic:
Block Incorrect Order of Activate Actions

Gregory Martin
Gregory Martin
A couple of years ago a note was posted about being able to enable functions without uploading a file.

I found this message in a post in October 2014 ->
{Enable Z-Wave before clicking save on the COM port, in which case the COM port was not saved and the system is trying to load a null value, causing the crash. This is obviously a flaw of our GUI logic which we'll fix ASAP...}

I just experienced a similar issue with enabling UPB, where it is possible to Enable UPB before loading an exported UPB file.

It would be great to have the web UI would block actions that are performed out of order thereby not allowing Active to be set on a function until after the correct file was loaded.
Also, if the file type is wrong, would be nice to get a message about that as well. Perhaps hinting what file extension was expected on that error would be cool to.
12/14/2016
Topic:

Gregory Martin
Gregory Martin
Sounds like a good idea at this point. To answer your second question, Simply-Automated, Leviton, and I'll check but may also have left a PCS device in the UPB export file as well; switches, dimmers, relay modules.
12/15/2016
Topic:

Gregory Martin
Gregory Martin
UPStart 8.0 Build 56
12/16/2016
Topic:
CastleOS app launcher has stopped working CastleH

Gregory Martin
Gregory Martin
I decided to leave the CastleHUB turned on last night even though it's not working yet and found this morning a message "CastleOSAppLauncher has stopped working" again. I was hopeful this original problem had gone away but looks like it's back.

Strangely, CastleHUB had also opened a web page all by itself. There was a message page couldn't be reached, likely due to the above failure. Why does CastleHUB need to open a URL to catlshub:7756/GoToApplication.aspx/...... What's it trying to do on port 7756?

Restart resolved the issue again but obviously there is a reliability issue beyond just the UPB failure.
Version shows to be 1.3.3122 (2.0 RC).
12/16/2016
Topic:

Gregory Martin
Gregory Martin
Chris - did the developer you mentioned have any luck in fixing this issue and do you have that update I can add to get CastleHUB working for this?
12/17/2016
Topic:

Gregory Martin
Gregory Martin
This seems like odd behavior on a production product since I really don't know of any other applications popping unneeded windows with warnings that don't matter if you don't use it and opening web pages to locations that have warning messages they are available.

Is this beta software?
12/17/2016
Topic:
Background Disappears, Xtra Icon, Missing Drive

Gregory Martin
Gregory Martin
So this morning I was greeted by a solid black background on CastleHUB, as the CastleOS background disappeared, and an extra icon for "Open CastleOS" on the desktop of the CastleHUB.

When looking for the logo to put it back as background, the system complains drive E is missing. Why is there a path to an old legacy drive? Was this installation clean or a clone of another system that had an "E" drive location?

The other questions is why did CastleHUB decide to change appearance all on it's own? Is this related to installer bug you mentioned or is this also normal behavior if the hub is left turned on for few days?

Why are there so many aberrant behaviors with this unit?
12/18/2016
Topic:

Gregory Martin
Gregory Martin
The one you installed on the system with Windows 10, Microsoft Edge.

This is not normal behavior for many apps. The bad web page was because CastleOS has failed and was not available, as happened before a couple of times.

Restart resolved the bad web page link from the CastleOS failure. I think that was like the failure on the first day.
12/18/2016
Topic:

Gregory Martin
Gregory Martin
Did not connect any other drives.
I think it would be great to be able to run headless but unfortunately when CastleHUB failed right out of the box, had to connect keyboard and monitor to see what had happened since CastleOS was down. With each of the failures, having a keyboard and monitor has allowed me to see the craziness that's going on and restart the service or view the logs not visible through CastleOS, when it is working.

Doesn't seem headless would be doable with the current behavior but I do see that for some headless would be a great way to hide some of the bugs or strange messages. In my case, I left the monitor and keyboard attached because of the ongoing issues and I still can't use the system yet.
12/19/2016
Topic:

Gregory Martin
Gregory Martin
So I disabled UPB, then re-enabled and still not working in version 1.3.3122 (2.0 RC). What CastleOS version should be working?
12/20/2016
Topic:

Gregory Martin
Gregory Martin
So this morning I noticed the usual error message on screen, so I logged in after closing that popup and see that the Devices data is now populated from the UPB list. I clicked a device to turn on, it flashed green for just a second, then went back to red and changed to 100% even though the light is not on. I clicked again and green button stayed this second time but light is actually still off because the PIM is not connected.

Why does CastleOS show simultaneously BOTH "ON" and "OFF" for rooms, even if all devices are off?
How did CastleOS determine 100% dim state if it was unable to complete the action and could not read the device?
Why did CastleOS show 100% yet it also showed device Off (red)?
Why did CastleOS not alert that the PIM was no longer connected or that it could not complete the operation?

With the PIM connected, CastleOS will turn on the test light, but will NOT turn off the light. I am monitoring UPB signals on the power line and see the "ON" signal go out but not the "OFF" signal.

Why is CastleOS not sending light off command?
Why did CastleOS again show 100%, light on, but CastleOS button showed Off (red)? Is CastleOS faking the switch statuses?

So I played with the ON/OFF a little more but still could not get the light to turn off through CastleOS. Currently the test light is on but CastleOS shows 0% and Off.

For those that aren't familiar with UPB, the percentage is dim percentage, 0% being off, 100% on, anything in between 1-99%. On is green and Off is red button. Some UPB switches can dim light, some are plugs or outlets that only turn on or off and not dimmable, and some are relays that can detect events or act as a remote switch like for a garage opener or gate and detect if gate is running closed or stopped. smile
edited by love-the-tech on 12/20/2016
12/20/2016
Topic:
UPB Devices Showing Active When Not Active - Not R

Gregory Martin
Gregory Martin
I found a new bug now that UPB is partially working.....

Under Portal Active Devices, CastleOS is showing the Back Gate active and Back Porch Light, although neither is currently active, activated, or on.

When I click on the device, for example, Back Porch Light, it disappeared. Back Gate still shows active.
Now I click on Back Gate and it disappears.

Is CastleOS built to detect the state of these devices and remove them when not active from the Active Devices page in the portal?
1/11/2017
Topic:

Gregory Martin
Gregory Martin
Yes, log viewer shows they are being logged, but looks like CastleOS doesn't understand all the return codes and ignores others. I turned this thing off almost three weeks ago because I just don't have time to beta test what is advertised as a production product.
What's it take to get an RMA for CastleHUB? This thing has to many bugs and I've not even got one thing working yet!!!
1/11/2017
Topic:
No Quick Start Guide in the box!

Gregory Martin
Gregory Martin
The Quick Start Guide reads as follows;
  • 1) Plugin the CastleHUB to both power and Ethernet. No monitor, keyboard, or mouse is needed (but with all the errors you will have, you will need those)
  • 2) Download Android or iOS CastleOS app. If iOS app is not available, see Alternative Setup.
  • 3) Open the CastleOS app, it will send a request over the network for the CastleHUB to identify itself, and then auto-configure the app connections settings. You should be prompted to login (if the app hasn't crashed). The default username is "admin" and the password is "password1234".
  • 4 ) That's it!
The rest of the Quick Start show you have to install more memory and a 2.5" hard drive into the unit.

My unit arrived non-working and the quick start didn't work. To resolve the issue, I did actually need a monitor, keyboard, and mouse; all beneficial. You can login to CastleOS from the Windows 10 Home desktop of the CastleHUB without needing the Android or iOS app but you might want to wait a few days because Windows updates will break CastleOS and CastleOS updates itself too so may corrupt itself if you don't wait. Everything else is here in the forums and the WIKI is just there for looks - there's nothing there yet.
1/11/2017
Topic:

Gregory Martin
Gregory Martin
Any explanation other than a recommendation to use this for a media storage space? Reference to an E: drive seems like it might not have been a clean install or was copied from an older installation, which probably explains the logs from before this unit was delivered. Did ZOTAC forget to clean up the Windows 10 image before deployment?
1/11/2017
Topic:
No More Change Logs

Gregory Martin
Gregory Martin
You had me go through a few updates to try and fix CastleOS, but I noticed there have been no change logs since 2015. I'm trying to find out what each version release is supposed to fix BEFORE it breaks something else or to see what it fixes.
Is there a reason why Change Logs are no longer being posted?
1/18/2017
Topic:
An Error Occurred Loading the CastleOS app

Gregory Martin
Gregory Martin
Adam wrote:
I had the same problem this morning.

I went here and downloaded the 4.6.2 update and installed it. Then rebooted, and COS worked again.

I'm super pissed. Go ahead and disable beta updates if you system works properly. I can't handle a surprise crash and repair with every update.

Updates seem to be highly problematic and no telling what will happen when they do. I doubt there is any testing of the update on various platforms before the release, just a hope and pray it works approach. In just the first week of owning a CastleHub, had way too many outages due to bad updates and corrupt backups and with no change logs, it's anyone's guess as to why an update was needed anyway.

Agreed - everyone should disable the updates because technically they can prove to be hazardous to your system if you use it. Those that don't know better or anyone that doesn't count on their system to be stable can live be surprised by the "update" outages which gives time for someone to post the next fix.
1/18/2017
Topic:
No Quick Start Guide in the box!

Gregory Martin
Gregory Martin
Given the anniversary update was 6 months ago, why not update the image for the CastleHubs and clean that image all the old Windows logs, unnecessary files, and phantom connections to drives that no longer exist? Ship a production appliance, not a big beta test using new customers!

First experience out of the box should not be a missing guide and a system that crashes with excuses as to why it happen over and over especially if the anniversary update was 6 months ago and no message in the box with a warning the system will not work!

Given all the posts about corruption from old updates and new updates, perhaps it is time to fix the problem and not ship another hub until it's right - yes?
1/22/2017
Topic:

Gregory Martin
Gregory Martin
Definitely NOT solid - you just got the UPB partially working a few days ago and this is all old UPB stuff from Simply-Automated. Nothing new and still no fix for the recommend USB UPB PIM.
-1 is the returned code on a UPB relay.