macguyver6940

all messages by user

7/23/2013
Topic:
Kinect details and timed events

Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews
Hi, considering your system, sounds cool! a few Q's about the kinect interface:
My household is security paranoid, is there a way to appease them regarding the kinect cameras? tape over them or such?
Also when addressing the system, is "computer" the only attention word? can i re-train the system to respond to a unique name instead?
Lastly, I'm an energy nazi (sorry if not PC), I run the Insteon HUB, which when programmed through a smartphone, will run time-based events from a cloud server without a computer running; when programmed through HomeLinc, not so much... requires the computer to be running.
I know your sys will only process voice while running on the home server, but will sunrise, time-of-day type events run without a computer running?

Thanks
Kevin
8/29/2013
Topic:
Insteon Motion sensor advanced features

Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews
I am wanting to use my IMS which is mounted under the eaves of my garage to trigger lights on if light levels are below x. I know the sensor has the capability, but I don't see where to get to anything more than On or Off. I currently have a timed event to launch a scene at 40 min pre sunset, but I also want to have lights come on should the clouds get thick and dark in the daytime, or in the event of a solar eclipse, nuclear winter, the apocalypse, or some other minor astronomical anomaly. Whaaaaa?
Also the sensor is software configurable for sensitivity to both light and motion, does COS have a way to access those parameters?
Lastly I also use the sensor as a driveway alert, requesting the "beep" function on the lamp-lincs and/or other devices; is this doable in COS?
9/10/2013
Topic:
Insteon Motion sensor advanced features

Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews
I was hoping to see a response to this by now, you guys must be busy! Any thoughts?
10/27/2015
Topic:
Basic Castle hub setup

Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews
I just received my Hub and began the search for a Kinect device... Definitely need more Kinect info!
Apparently there are several models, not just V1 and V2. are some USB direct?
Do others need adapters?
Do any of them need external power?
Is one model better than others?
10/28/2015
Topic:
Castle Hub not linking to Insteon Hub

Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews
OK, powered up my CHub today and began the process of figuring out how to make it all work... with such little/poor instructions... So I activated the software license (took some digging to find that button!) and then went to link the Insteon hub to begin the whole process. Go to 'settings' then under protocols, open 'INSTEON', then key in the IP of my InsHub and when I click 'save' I get a blank screen in my browser (http://192.168.1.11/m/message.aspx?m=0)!
Tried with Chrome first, then IE, then the Android app, all do the same thing. Tried going through the "welcome" menu - same. Made sure the Insteon app on my phone was not running nor logged in. - Good there. No Homelinc software on my PC.
No joy here!
10/28/2015
Topic:
Ramp Rate

Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews
Chris Cicchitelli wrote:
Jim Blake wrote:
There's an option I have in Homelink that sets a ramp-rate for a dimmed light to come up to full power, or inversely to set the rate it will dim. This is useful for setting scenes, in particular a movie night where you want the lights to slowly dim down to zero instead of just cutting off. I also use this feature for a light in my bedroom to wake me up; gradually making the light brighter over the course of several minutes. I can fake it in CastleOS by setting several events a minute or so apart to turn on a dimmed light a few % points at a time but it’s not as smooth.

It's coming in the next release!

This from 2013? I still cannot find any access to advanced Insteon parameters like ramp rate, software settings in motion sensor when jumper 5 is set, etc. This is with the brand new Castle Hub.
10/28/2015
Topic:
New Hub questions

Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews
tbeauntx wrote:
Thanks Phil, you confirmed what I suspected, yet the configuration of CastleOS service has a spot for media saying it's not enabled yet. Wondering why that is even there. I bought a keyboard and mouse to see how Windows was configured on this little piece of misleading junk, and as soon as my memory upgrades arrive in the mail, i'll be looking for the wire or switch to shut off the stupid blue ring around it lighting up my theater.

Yeah the blue ring needs to GO!
10/28/2015
Topic:

Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews wrote:
OK, powered up my CHub today and began the process of figuring out how to make it all work... with such little/poor
instructions... So I activated the software license (took some digging to find that button!) and then went to link the Insteon hub to begin the whole process. Go to 'settings' then under protocols, open 'INSTEON', then key in the IP of my InsHub and when I click 'save' I get a blank screen in my browser (http://192.168.1.11/m/message.aspx?m=0)!
Tried with Chrome first, then IE, then the Android app, all do the same thing. Tried going through the "welcome" menu - same. Made sure the Insteon app on my phone was not running nor logged in. - Good there. No Homelinc software on my PC.
No joy here!

Update:
So, somehow the Inshub has been found and linked... so I link two lamplinc modules and they are found and link OK, but never report the correct status nor respond to on-off or level settings. Also, (as I mentioned in another thread) no way to by-pass, access or edit ramp rate. Even in the clunkiest of apps - Insteon for hub - one could double-click the toggle button for fast-on or off!

It would appear this device is going to cause more questions than solutions, with little to no help in sightupset!

I'm beginning to feel taken...
10/28/2015
Topic:
Extending Event's "End Date" for long durations

Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews
Or maybe just a button to bypass the time window like in any calendar app.
11/2/2015
Topic:

Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews
So what about the original topic? I still can't control anything.
11/2/2015
Topic:

Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews
You seem to be a bit of a night owl, How is tomorrow evening 4:30-5:00 PM or so PST?

BTW, it would sure be convenient to have these hubs set up to accept windows remote desktop rather than dragging it out and connecting a screen and KB.
11/2/2015
Topic:

Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews
Chris Cicchitelli wrote:
Kevin Mathews wrote:
You seem to be a bit of a night owl, How is tomorrow evening 4:30-5:00 PM or so PST?

BTW, it would sure be convenient to have these hubs set up to accept windows remote desktop rather than dragging it out and connecting a screen and KB.

That time frame works for me! For remote troubleshooting, you don't need to connect it to anything but the network, the app has remote troubleshooting built in. For you to log in remotely however, that's something that needs to be set up by you for licensing reasons, remote desktop isn't included in the version of Windows that ships with the hub unfortunately...

Its calendared.

Too bad about RDC, I use that all the time with the various machines I manage at work. Speaking of work, any future plans of interfacing with commercial protocols such as Bacnet or LONworks? How about some way to link with some of the commercial mini-split or VRF controllers from Mistu, Fujitsu, LG etc.
11/13/2015
Topic:
Opening screen

Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews
Hey, just a thought, is there any way to make the COS open to a different screen? Might be nice to have it start on "Favs" instead of the default "Actives". Also while setting up and/or adding several devices it might be nice to stay in "Settings". Also a button to refresh status would be helpful...
11/14/2015
Topic:
Opening screen

Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews
Scott Goffman wrote:
It's just a web UI, so you should be able to save your shortcut to open to any page you like (/m/scenes.aspx,
/m/devices.aspx, etc.).

Nope, just opens the normal portal view.
11/17/2015
Topic:
Outdoor lighting action

Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews
So I want to set up an action on my exterior lights but not sure how...
I want all ext lights on at sunset to 30%, that much is easy. Then when motion is detected by Insteon sensor I want some of the o/s lights to go up to 100% for x-time, (Energy Eye, maybe?) then at time out to revert back to 30%, not off.
Any thoughts?
11/17/2015
Topic:
Opening screen

Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews
Chris Cicchitelli wrote:
Actually, that was simple, already done! Will be included with the next release. You'll be able to add the tab to the bookmark.

So instead of: http://localhost/m/Portal.aspx

It will be: http://localhost/m/Portal.aspx?tab=actives (i.e. pick one of the four: actives|favorites|energy|climate)

That was easy!
11/17/2015
Topic:
Security issue with email and sms setup

Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews
I am having the same issue, I actually just wanted to enable SMS but this requires those text messages be sent via carrier email portal. Would rather use Google voice - hangouts or other SMS app.
11/19/2015
Topic:
Remote login using team viewer

Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews
Ajay Guthikonda wrote:
It would been nice if castleHub comes with Remote Desktop enabled by default.

I thought the same until working with it and with Chris. Teamviewer is preinstalled and is a much better remote client, once you set it up on the hub you can access it from any PC through your Teamviewer web portal or installed host on your regular machine even from a remote location. Not to mention the several other core functions you cannot do with RDP.
11/22/2015
Topic:
Security issue with email and sms setup

Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews
So I set up a different email account with lower security settings allowed and it DOES work.... but the password is not showing the line of dots when I save it.

Subsequently since the COS software doesn't believe the pw is saved, I never get to see the SMS setup screens! Have tried in the Android app, in the browser window and through Teamviewer in the native app on the hub. --no joy--

KM
12/9/2015
Topic:
Smart Switches, LEDs, and No Neutrals

Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews
You shouldn't need to wire back to the panel, just to the light fixture box. You can pick up the neutral there and replace the existing two-wire (Romex, I hope) with three-wire (+ground since you are replacing it!). That will give you line in, (black typically) switched out (red) and the white neutral.
1234 ..7