cmacnichol

all messages by user

11/8/2013
Topic:
Multiple Audio Input Devices

Christopher Macnichol
Christopher Macnichol
Hello,

I just recently stumbled across this site and am pretty excited about it. It seems to have a lot of support currently and a lot of thought appears to have gone into it.

I just finished, or almost finished, remodeling a house. When I did I wired it for everything I could think of including Microphones in each room. The end goal at the time was to use Open Air Mics with a Mixer to feed the audio into something like Home Automated Living's Software. This was before I found CastleOS. I like a lot of features I am seeing with CastleOS and am wondering if it is ever going to be possible to use multiple Audio Input sources. I like the idea of using a Kinect, but that will not work it every room and it would be nice to use some of the existing Mics I already have.

Either way, I look forward to see how this software grows in the future.
12/17/2014
Topic:
Stand Alone Kinect Service?

Christopher Macnichol
Christopher Macnichol
Hello,

Just finished a trial of CastleOS and I have to say that I absolutely loved the Voice Recognition. It is so much more accurate then others that I have tried in the past. I am still debating as to what to go with and had a question.

Would it ever be possible in the future to just purchase the Kinect Service Portion of the program with minimal core service? To be honest, I have very little need for most of the other functions in CastleOS between an ISY and an Insteon HUB. That already covers Web Access and Scene programming nicely. At the moment, I am having trouble convincing myself that just voice recognition is worth an extra 200 when I have other devices that cover most functions in CastleOS.

Either way, The accuracy of the VR really impressed me. I miss some of the features I liked in HAL2000 from Home Automated Living, like the ability to schedule events with voice, but that is not really a deal breaker. Especially since HAL does not seem to be in active development anymore...
12/17/2014
Topic:
Stand Alone Kinect Service?

Christopher Macnichol
Christopher Macnichol
I really appreciate the fast response. It appears that I will have to see what I can budget... I do like what I am seeing development wise for CastleOS, I will have to see what your HUB Looks like. I don't suppose there is a break on pricing for CastleOS if you get it at the same time as the HUB as a bundle?

Don't really want to have another Windows Computer running if I can help it.
2/8/2015
Topic:
Connecting to Hub Causes Core Service to Crash

Christopher Macnichol
Christopher Macnichol
Hello,

I am having a really annoying issue here. I have made two changes recently, not sure what is causing this issue. I have upgraded to the latest build and activated the license.

After I did both of these CastleOS disconnected from my Insteon Hub. Whenever I try to save the IP Address back into settings the Core Service crashes completely and must be manually restarted. I have already re-installed the Core Service to no effect.

Another odd thing is that I get different error types depending if I am entering the info from local or another computer on the network.

Attached is my error log from the local computer where the Core resides and the bigger one is from another computer where I typically access it from.
2/8/2015
Topic:
Voice Device Localization

Christopher Macnichol
Christopher Macnichol
Not sure if this has been covered before, but it is an annoyance that I have noticed.

Currently, with the exception of the primary lights per kinect, every device or scene must be specifically called when using voice commands. So if you have two rooms, each with a Kinect and say a Fan, each has to be specified.

Like:

Turn on Master Bedroom Fan or
Turn on Living Room Fan

Now each of those devices are further grouped by their room name in addition to the device name.

Would it be possible to say assign the Kinect to a group membership so you could name each Fan just as "Fan" but listed under each Group. This way if you are in that room with the assigned Kinect CastleOS would know that when you call for a Fan to turn on or off, you mean the one in the same group. When if you wanted to turn the other Fan in the other room off you would need to specify the group name before the device name.

The biggest issue I have been having is when you have multiple devices that are the same each needs a unique name, even if they are in completely separate rooms. Then you start getting odd names in order to have all of them unique, it starts causing recognition confidence to go down or to just plain get it wrong.

Alternatively, if groups need to stay the way they are for other purposes, could we add another setting for Room Memberships?

Not sure if I made complete sense here, let me know if any of this is confusing.
2/9/2015
Topic:

Christopher Macnichol
Christopher Macnichol
Nick Bento wrote:
Seems like there's some kind of network issue, as it keeps complaining that its attempts to connect to the hub are failing, and there's also some issue with it resolving the webservices for weather. Have you tried seeing if it can ping the hub at all? Also does the hub have a static IP or a DHCP reservation set on it? (If not it's possible its address has changed). Also in my personal experience I've seen that if any other software is connected to the hub/talking with it, it blocks any other app from connecting (like HouseLinc for instance), so I'd check to make sure nothing like that is running. I run the Insteon Hub on my network with a DHCP reservation and it's been rock solid, so it may just be some odd network issue smile
Also I'm guessing you have UPNP disabled on your router, as it seems it is being blocked?

The HUB is setup with a DHCP Reservation. I switched the reservation somewhere in the middle of the attached error log to something that I knew had no conflicts. The HUB is fully accessible from my iPhone, Browser and through the Insteon for Browser Beta. All of which are working without issue,

I have Houselinc on one computer but I turned that computer just to make sure it was not causing a conflict.

As for the UPNP, that one confused me as I have that enabled. I even reset my Router, with DD-WRT Firmware, to defaults and set it back up just to make sure I had no conflicts there.

So overall, I am just really confused now as I enable Insteon in settings, which works, then save the IP in the field. It processes for about 30 seconds then crashes the core service.

About the only thing I have not tried is moving the core to another computer, which is my next step if we cannot narrow down what is going on.
2/9/2015
Topic:

Christopher Macnichol
Christopher Macnichol
Here is the Configuration File. Surprisingly the IP Address is in the file, even if it does not show in the Web UI.

Any way to clear everything and start from scratch config wise? Maybe that will help.
2/9/2015
Topic:

Christopher Macnichol
Christopher Macnichol
Chris Cicchitelli wrote:
Hey Chris, it looks like the Hub IP and ID are saved (assuming they are correct), but Insteon is disabled. Am I understanding correctly that when you hit enable, it crashes?

The odd thing is in the UI, the Hub IP does not show at all. It seems to enable just fine, page refreshes and everything. However when I click save after entering the IP, that is when it crashes right away.
2/9/2015
Topic:

Christopher Macnichol
Christopher Macnichol
Certainly. Here is the easy connect password, let me now if you need it as a file. 9F7H8QQZ4MZD

Also, it just occurred to me. I am running the core service on a Windows 10 VM. Before I activated it, it ran for almost 30 days without issue. Hence why I did not think of it before.
2/9/2015
Topic:

Christopher Macnichol
Christopher Macnichol
Chris Cicchitelli wrote:
Can I log in and do some troubleshooting via Windows Remote Assistance?

Previous session expired. Here is a new File and PW.

PC464D87G9JX
2/9/2015
Topic:
We're Building a Plugin API - Any Requests?

Christopher Macnichol
Christopher Macnichol
Would it be possible to create a HTTP GET Command Set plugin? As of right now my Insteon network is running primarily on an ISY994i and the Voice Functionality of CastleOS is a perfect counterpoint.

However all of the issues I currently have are with the Insteon Hub that CastleOS uses. I would love to just be able to use the voice functionality and have it send the proper commands over to the ISY for it to enact. The API for the ISY Rest Interface also allows the polling of its entire node structure to get their current status. From what I can tell it does not take long at all to update as the links are actively managed. So as long as the Device ID exists within CastleOS it should be possible to parse that out periodically to update status. My testing shows that the ISY has no issues serving up this information every few seconds, not that it is really needed that quickly.

I understand that CastleOS is meant to be a replacement or equivalent to the ISY, but for someone like me who is just using the Voice portion then the ability to pass the commands onto the ISY would simplify my link management by a large margin. As I have found out, having multiple Insteon controllers on the same network is just asking for trouble. Thoughts?

Details on the ISY API can be found here.

http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY_Developers
2/11/2015
Topic:
Voice Device Localization

Christopher Macnichol
Christopher Macnichol
Chris Cicchitelli wrote:
Hey Chris, a couple things here that will help. First is we're adding support for three groups per device in the next release. Second, you can name each fan "fan", but if they are in separate groups you can add the group name to the device name, like you list above. As far as assigning the Kinect zone to a group, that's an interesting idea. I'll have to think about that, but my first thought is it's doable. At the very least we can create a "master fan" option like we do for the lighting.

-Chris

I will give the groups a try, did not realize they worked like that. Not quite sure how I would use 3 groups per device, but I am sure I will think of something.

Yeah, if we could assign a Kinect to a group, that would be really nice. As it would shorten any commands in that room as it would assume that when you leave out the group name then you are referring to what is in the same room as the Kinect.
2/11/2015
Topic:
Amazon Echo

Christopher Macnichol
Christopher Macnichol
Just got my Amazon Echo. I have to say, that as much as the kinect impressed me, this thing blows that out of the water. It will recognize anything I say across the room with full music playing. I am REALLY hoping they release an API. If we could get this thing interconnected with CastleOS, that would be the best of both worlds. Especially with the build in speaker. Just hoping Amazon does not drop it as this product has a huge amount of potential.
2/11/2015
Topic:
Help with Fanlinc's

Christopher Macnichol
Christopher Macnichol
Well, I am on my way to getting everything to work together, but I am still having issues with my Fanlinc's. In this case I have two of them located in the same room. Currently I have a group setup to control both at once for the master lights in that room. Oddly, the response time of the lights is noticeably slower then turning them on one at a time or both in a scene.

The scene was better but did not support dim commands. With the group, one turns on then the other follows is about 5-10 seconds later. This I can deal with as it is a pretty small annoyance.

My biggest issue right now is that for the life of me, I cannot get the Fan Commands to work with Voice. From the Interface it works with the drop down selection, but no variant will work with voice.

Am I missing a command here in how to control the Fans? I cannot find a way to add the Fan speed settings into a scene or group at the moment either.

Any ideas on the best way to set this up? Ideally I just want the Master Lights command to control both lights as dimmables. Then have a second command for fan control, again both at the same time.
2/16/2015
Topic:
Amazon Echo

Christopher Macnichol
Christopher Macnichol
Chris Cicchitelli wrote:
Christopher Macnichol wrote:
Just got my Amazon Echo. I have to say, that as much as the kinect impressed me, this thing blows that out of the water. It will recognize anything I say across the room with full music playing. I am REALLY hoping they release an API. If we could get this thing interconnected with CastleOS, that would be the best of both worlds. Especially with the build in speaker. Just hoping Amazon does not drop it as this product has a huge amount of potential.

We're in direct contact with the Echo team at Amazon. That's all I can say for now...

I am very excited to hear this. Let us know what you can when you can.

I have held off on planning kinect installs in two other rooms due to this. They were low priority anyway, but I would love to switch completely to the ECHO. Amazing how far Voice tech has come the last few years.

Have you had a chance to try the Echo yourself yet?
2/27/2015
Topic:

Christopher Macnichol
Christopher Macnichol
Any progress or thoughts on this?
2/27/2015
Topic:

Christopher Macnichol
Christopher Macnichol
Chris Cicchitelli wrote:
Nothing official yet, but we tentatively plan to natively support the ISY with CastleOS...

Thank you! I really appreciate that. Getting that Hub off my network will make things so much simpler.
3/14/2015
Topic:
Kinect Service Crash on Windows 8.1 64bit

Christopher Macnichol
Christopher Macnichol
Hey Chris,

I just updated my computer to Windows 8.1 and am having issues with re-installing the Kinect Service. Well, to be more accurate, in setting it up and running it.

The Service seems to install fine, but when I go to enter the credentials for the Core service, which is located on a Win 10 machine, the whole service crashes. Here are the entries from the Event Log, it seems to be related to Net Framework but the Installer verified I have the correct version. Thoughts?

Application: CastleOSKinectServiceConfigurator.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Net.WebException
Stack:
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
at CastleOSMedia.Plex.Client.SendHttpRequest(System.String, System.String)
at CastleOSMedia.Plex.Client.GetPlayers()
at CastleOSMedia.PlexMediaPlayer.DiscoverMediaPlayers(Int32, Int32)
at CastleOSKinectServiceConfigurator.CastleOSKinectWindow.<.ctor>b__2()
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(System.Object)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Faulting application name: CastleOSKinectServiceConfigurator.exe, version: 1.2.1157.0, time stamp: 0x548a8467
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.3.9600.17415, time stamp: 0x54504ade
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x00014598
Faulting process id: 0x164
Faulting application start time: 0x01d05e84a11d3b2b
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\CastleOS\CastleOS Kinect Service\CastleOSKinectServiceConfigurator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: e4e72396-ca77-11e4-8258-0015830cbfeb
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
3/14/2015
Topic:

Christopher Macnichol
Christopher Macnichol
It actually crashes when I get half way through typing my username in. If I let it sit without typing anything it stays running without issue. So yeah, very odd.
3/14/2015
Topic:

Christopher Macnichol
Christopher Macnichol
Chris Cicchitelli wrote:
I can only suggest trying to manually install the full .NET again, here is the link: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30653

Well, I learned some new things. It seems that Net Framework 4.5 is a part of the Win 8 OS and cannot be removed. I ran the Install to repair it with no Issues. Unfortunately, that did not help at all, even after restarting the computer after the repair.

The Kinect App now crashes after 20-30 seconds of opening it. The service itself however, does continue to run.

Any other ideas?