LOGIN  |  REGISTER
Smart Living Made Brilliant!
CASTLEOS FORUM

HomeGeneral Support

The general support forum topic for CastleOS - ask questions, get help, and more

Sonos support Messages in this topic - RSS

Frank Dracman
Frank Dracman

7/17/2014
Frank Dracman
Frank Dracman
Hello Chris,

How do you use the Sonos features?
I can't seem to add a Sonos Device?
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

7/17/2014
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
For Sonos, all you need to do is plug your Sonos speaker into Ethernet, and CastleOS will automatically detect it. Then, in the Kinect Configurator, you can change the audio type from Windows to Sonos, and select your speaker of choice from the list. All CastleOS audio will come out that speaker instead of the speakers plugged into the Windows computer.
0 link
Frank Dracman
Frank Dracman

7/17/2014
Frank Dracman
Frank Dracman
Oh, i thought you could control the Sonos Amplifier through CastleOS and get sound from Castle through the AMP.
I understand now you need Sonos Ether Speakers..

Thank you for Clarifying
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

7/17/2014
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Frank Dracman wrote:
Oh, i thought you could control the Sonos Amplifier through CastleOS and get sound from Castle through the AMP.
I understand now you need Sonos Ether Speakers..

Thank you for Clarifying

Do you mean this? http://www.amazon.com/SONOS-CONNECT-Streaming-Amplifier-ZonePlayer120/dp/B001CROHU4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405645936&sr=8-1&keywords=sonos+zone

If so, yes you can control that too...if it's plugged into ethernet.
0 link
Frank Dracman
Frank Dracman

7/17/2014
Frank Dracman
Frank Dracman
Yes, i have a connect amp how do you set that up?
its connect to my home network and accessible via smart phone.
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

7/17/2014
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Frank Dracman wrote:
Yes, i have a connect amp how do you set that up?
its connect to my home network and accessible via smart phone.

Open the Kinect Configurtor, click Kinect at the top, then under Zone Speaker - Mode, select Sonos.
It might take a couple seconds to pop up in the list as it's discovered...
0 link
Frank Dracman
Frank Dracman

7/17/2014
Frank Dracman
Frank Dracman
O.k, i'm not sure how long it should take but it has not discovered the Sonos connect amp..
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

7/17/2014
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Frank Dracman wrote:
O.k, i'm not sure how long it should take but it has not discovered the Sonos connect amp..

Try clicking "advanced", then click "basic" again. Is it in the list now?
0 link
Frank Dracman
Frank Dracman

7/17/2014
Frank Dracman
Frank Dracman
No..
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

7/17/2014
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Frank Dracman wrote:
No..

OK I'll do some research on my end. It should be working, but we didn't specifically test with the Sonos Amp, and the amp might be identifying itself differently than the speakers so it's not being auto detected. I'll get back to you...
0 link
Frank Dracman
Frank Dracman

7/17/2014
Frank Dracman
Frank Dracman
o.k. thanks Chris..
0 link
B
B

7/25/2014
B
B
Just got a Sonos Play1 speaker yesterday with a Sonos wifi bridge and after registering it and setting up a controller on my desktop (also running CastleOS). I opened the Kinect config using the beta version. All I did at that point is change to Sonos, Save, and restart.
Working great... The only Sonos device hooked up to the router is the Bridge.
To this point I have not had a speaker ever hooked up, and I need to testify that a speaker is really a must on learning how to speak to the system, without it I was sort of just rambling random things over and over. I will most likely get some more of the player1's.
Not sure what is the cause of the trouble, but maybe reinstalling the Sonos connector software.
Good luck
0 link
Frank Dracman
Frank Dracman

7/30/2014
Frank Dracman
Frank Dracman
Hi Chris,

Any luck with the

Sonos Connect Amp

would like to be be able to control it with Castle OS..
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

7/30/2014
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Frank Dracman wrote:
Hi Chris,

Any luck with the

Sonos Connect Amp

would like to be be able to control it with Castle OS..

We double checked the spec sheet and it should be auto detected by CastleOS. Can you confirm you have the ethernet cable plugged into it? Does it show in the Network screen of My Computer?
0 link
Frank Dracman
Frank Dracman

7/31/2014
Frank Dracman
Frank Dracman
Hi Chris,

I believe what you are asking is if i can see it within the network, screen on the desktop in explorer. the answer is yes i can i can see its a model zp120, listed as a sonos Connect:AMP with a MAC address, UUID and IP address. The machine that provides the infomration i have listed also runs Castleo OS.

Thanks for the reply.
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

7/31/2014
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Frank Dracman wrote:
Hi Chris,

I believe what you are asking is if i can see it within the network, screen on the desktop in explorer. the answer is yes i can i can see its a model zp120, listed as a sonos Connect:AMP with a MAC address, UUID and IP address. The machine that provides the infomration i have listed also runs Castleo OS.

Thanks for the reply.

All indications are it should be detected. Please try this: open the Kinect configurator, click "Kinect", make sure Sonos is selected from the option list, and let it sit for 10 seconds. Then click advanced, then click basic again. Is the list of speakers still empty?
0 link
Frank Dracman
Frank Dracman

8/12/2014
Frank Dracman
Frank Dracman
Hi Chris,
So in trying your work around i notice that the selection portion ( once I have switched it to sonos, instead of windows ) has thin gray undertone when i click on it. it does not have a full drop down selection.
edited by boyakaa on 8/12/2014
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

8/14/2014
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Frank Dracman wrote:
Hi Chris,
So in trying your work around i notice that the selection portion ( once I have switched it to sonos, instead of windows ) has thin gray undertone when i click on it. it does not have a full drop down selection.
edited by boyakaa on 8/12/2014

That means it's not detecting the Sonos still...
0 link
B
B

8/17/2014
B
B
Frank, when did you install the castleos kinect software? have you tried the new beta? It shows the old beta date but it was updated 8/15/14 file size should be 6,843kb
you will still see the grey line, but you may be able to select different options in the "selections tab" I was able to do this on my win8.1 pc if you do not see enough drop down to select with the mouse, you can highlight and then move the arrow key up or down and then restart the Kinect service. A bit of trial and error, but I did get my second sonos speaker to work correctly.
Also the "System Volume" control is great. works on individual speakers assigned to certain zones.
Something to try maybe.
B
edited by bklavet on 8/17/2014
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

8/17/2014
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
I think you both are encountering the same bug, I'm looking into it now and will update as soon as I have something. I think the list is not being populated properly in all cases.
0 link